We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on hop off bus tour

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on hop off bus tour

Hello we're coming to Santa Monica on 29 April 2014 for three nights for my wife's 30th birthday. We will be staying at the Lowes hotel. My question is, is there a hop on hop off bus service that goes around Santa Monica and all of Los Angeles that can be purchased from a office close to my hotel in Santa Monica. Also how can I purchased this ticket and how much Is it for a 48 hour ticket. Thank you very much in advance for your help, Kam

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Hollywood Sightseeing LA
Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
LA City Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Open Bus Tours
City Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

https:/…los-angeles-tour-HOHO.asp

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

Thank you I have seen this website, however it is not clear if they have an office in Santa Monica as we willbe staying in Santa Monica I don't want to go all the way to Los Angeles to buy a ticket and get on a hop on hop off bus. Does anyone know if they have an office in Santa Monica, and also can you purchase a ticket on the day or does it have to be Bought in advance, is there a on the day price for 48 hour ticket? Thank you very much. Kam

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

Hi Kim Try this site http://www.adayinlatours.com/. They pick up near Santa Monica Pier and the reviews are good. They also responded very quick to my questions via email . We will be using them when we go in April (just before you)

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica Pier
14,493 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

Kam

Click on the "buy now" symbol on The link I gave you shows you all the maps. There is an office at Santa Monica pier you can get tickets there or buy on line and cancel w 48hrs notice.

48 hr tickets without Internet discount are $59 but there are options you might want to check out.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica Pier
14,493 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
5. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 19:07
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

You can meet the hop-on/hop-off bus at any of its stops and purchase tickets when you board. I think the nearest stop to Loew's is on Ocean Ave. at the pier.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

Regarding the HoHo, as I've said before, PLAN AHEAD: decide in advance which attractions you'll be visiting. Here's why:

1. While the HoHo is easy to use and very inclusive as far as visiting lots of attractions, it's a VERY SLOW way to get around Los Angeles. For example, transferring from Santa Monica to the Chinese Theater in Hollywood via the HoHo takes about 2 hours (including a 'layover' in Beverly Hills where you transfer from the yellow loop to the red loop of the tour). Using public transit takes about an hour (half the time). So, sometimes, especially if you plan to concentrate on an area that is far from your starting point (hotel), it makes sense to use public transit to get you to that distant neighborhood so that you can start touring earlier in the day.

2. The HoHo starts running at 9:00 and ends at various times depending on the time of year and the loop you're riding. In general, in non-summer months, the tour shuts down between 6:00 and 6:30 (and some loops close earlier). Because of this, if you wanted to, say, tour Hollywood, it would benefit you to take PUBLIC TRANSIT to Hollywood, departing from Santa Monica at 8:00 (if you can do it). This way, you'd be IN HOLLYWOOD by 9:00 and you could start your touring as soon as the HoHo starts up for the day. If, instead, you departed Santa Monica on the HoHo at 9:00 (when the tour starts) and went to Hollywood, you wouldn't arrive in Hollywood until 11:00.

3. Similarly, if you want to spend an evening in a faraway neighborhood, you'll need to rely upon public transit to get you back to your hotel since the tour stops running between 6:00 and 7:00 pm (depending upon the season). You can also use public transit to 'move you along' the loop you're currently on. The loops are shaped in a sort of oblong fashion so if you're at an attraction along one of the sides of the oblong and want to go to an attraction on the opposite side (without having to loop around the end), using public transit will get you there more quickly.

4. FYI: single rides on public transit cost $1.50; DAY PASSES cost $5 (plus a one-time fee for the TAP CARD onto which the day pass is 'loaded'). The DAY PASSES are good for unlimited rides on the metro rail trains and the metro buses.

Info about public transit is in our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page in the TOP QUESTIONS area under 'public transit + driving...'.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

Thanks hop skip jump, you have been very helpful I think I might brave it and decide to use public transport. We are still young and we have driven around Malaysia so how hard can it be. Are there any metro stops in Santa Monica or is it just buses. How many bus services running through Santa Monica are there many or just the one. Also one last question may sound like a silly question are many bus routes or Metro routes I should avoid so that I do not go into a dangerous area. Thanks for all your help Kam

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop on hop off bus tour

Hi, Kam

There are many buses into Santa Monica. Our metro RAIL system does not cover much of the west side of L.A. (although there is a portion of it just south of LAX -- which is south of the center of our city).

There is an explanation of our public transit system in our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page. Here's a shortcut:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c171690/Los-An…

It would be very difficult to end up in a dangerous neighborhood if you concentrate on the most popular neighborhoods of interest to tourists. These are also listed in our TOP QUESTIONS BOX. Here's a shortcut.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c171689/Los-An…

Finally, here's a map that shows you where everything is:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Metro Rail
Metro Rail
534 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
East Anglia
Level Contributor