We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

Hobart, Tasmania...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

Hi,

Six of us will be at LAX on November 15 for the day. We should be there by 9.30 after we disembark from a Cruise ship at San Pedro. We then have to wait until 22.50 when we leave LAX to fly back to Melbourne. We were thinking of doing a hop on hop off bus trip in LA. What is the best way to get to the Hop on hop off bus and how is the best way to get to LA.?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edwin

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

I'll let others discuss the merits of taking the HOHO tour that day. The challenge is which leg of the tours and from where are you departing? Hollywood? Downtown? My gut is this is a problematic option.

Spending time downtown or using the HOHO leg to tour downtown might have some merit, if you stick to just downtown. I bet the Grammy Museum and LA Live would scratch your Hollywood glitz & glamour itch. Take a look at Starlines downtown your and pick-up points downtown (Union Station?). Downtown allows you to pack in a lot of sights in a short period of time. Use a taxi or Uber to get here. Heck, rent a car and put your luggage in the trunk.

I would urge you to forgo Hollywood proper. Unless you have an affliction for wax museums (thar she blows!), there is little which is worth your precious time. Most likely, your reaction will be "That's it?" An hour or two is plenty. Now what?

Other day-trip options are Santa Monica. It is nearby, a beautiful setting, world-class restaurants and retail, pedestrian friendly. The Getty Center is another option. It has a real "wow" factor, relaxing place, stunning views and surprisingly good food. A meal on the patio overlooking the city is a quintessential LA experience. Again, Uber or taxi are good options for six.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d14…

HTH

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

I have no issues with anyone visiting Hollywood; I did when I first moved here and loved it! I'd recommend you take a look at the Things to Do tab at the top of this page (in the green bar), then click Activities, which shows you Sightseeing Tours. I think, for 6 people, it might be a better option to tour as your own group. The driver will likely be able to meet you at the airport, too. However, if you prefer the HOHO, there are some lines that start around the airport, did you look at the website?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

>>Other day-trip options are Santa Monica. It is nearby, a beautiful setting, world-class restaurants and retail, pedestrian friendly. <<

WOW, amazing, San Pedro is next to Long Beach, and Santa Monica is about hour away with a rental car.... (aka not a true statement)

I would look at Long Beach and not go past the airport (LAX) Santa Monica is north of LAX and out of the way,,,,

www.visitlongbeach.com

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

Long Beach does not have good beaches for the most part, due to the breakwater to protect the shipping harbor, same with San Pedro (I live here), Cabrillo Beach gets terrible grades from Surfrider Foundation.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

Why go PAST LAX to Santa Monica, I would do the Coastal drive and check out Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach.

Is Long Beach the best place for a classic Beach town, no, and IMHO, is Santa Monica, both are Urban areas.

If there wasn't a time issue, I would recommend Seal Beach and Huntington Beach, but they are out of the way... (aka south of the port)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

It makes no sense to head from San Pedro towards Long Beach, as that's heading away from LAX which is necessarily the ultimate destination.

Unfortunately, San Pedro is far from the parts of the city where the HoHo tour operates. Via public transportation its going to take around 2 hours to get to that area.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I would try to rent a car that can be returned at LAX, which will take care of the luggage storage issue, and then either:

a) drive to one of the beach cities south of or near LAX, like Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach and spend a few hours there enjoying the shops, restaurants and the beach

b) Decide which of the HoHo tour loops interest you the most - realistically you'd probably only have time for one. The main loops are the Purple loop, which covers downtown to Hollywood and takes 2 1/2 hours round trip if you never exit the bus, the Red Loop which covers Hollywood and Beverly Hills (2 hours), or the Yellow loop (2 hours) which covers Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. Then drive to an appropriate location to meet one of the buses - the main depot is in Hollywood at Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. - you can board both the Purple and Red loops there. The other main connection point is in Beverly Hills where you can board the Red or the Yellow loops.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

Here is a marked map for the route I mentioned. (Direct but a bit slower than the freeway).

http://goo.gl/maps/YTBTP

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

Skip Long Beach and, as said, head to Santa Monica. It's close to LAX and is a great part of town to tour. Will put you a lot closer to LAX than Long Beach.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

The OP has expressed no interest in seeing any of the coastline, which isn't suprising given that they are from Hobart.

OP, the easiest way is going to be by a van shuttle or rental directly to one of the hotels where you pick up a HoHo tour. Or as mentioned it is probably cost effective with 6 people to arrange for a private group tour including pickup and dropoff.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,625 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Way to get to Downtown LA from LAX within a 8 hour span

Please ignore the disruptive posts.

I think you are saying you are disembarking in San Pedro at 9:30AM and have to be at LAX by 7:50PM (19:50, the requested 3 hours before the flight at 22:50).

6 people with luggage from a cruise, renting a car wouldn't cut it, only a 10-12 passenger van would help and then you'd have to be able to drop it at LAX. Which is why I think I would engage a private car/van from a limousine company. Here is an example below.

americanlimos.org/….Ux-TgoVngRk

I don't know this company well and am not recommending them per se, but they do do private tours in cars big enough for everyone, with your luggage and you'd get to see what you want in a much more efficient way and when you divide the cost + tip by 6 people, it is a pretty reasonable rate.

The trouble with just getting to the HoHo tour is where do you put your luggage? By the time you add the cost of getting to Downtown LA or Hollywood for the HoHo bus and then the cost of getting from Downtown LA or Hollywood back to LAX, you are probably not that far off a private tour.

Here is a private tour company for LA with an Australia number.

www.latraveltours.com/LA-Private-Tours.html

Edited: 11 March 2014, 23:04