We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel taxi tip

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel taxi tip

If a member of staff at a hotel books a taxi for you when you request it what is a standard tip you'd give the person?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,992 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel taxi tip

Mmmm, good question. If a doorman hails a cab for me, I usually tip him $1 or $2. If a concierge books me a restaurant I usually tip them $5. If they get me into a 2 star Michelin place that is hard to get into, I tip $20. I just don't recall a time when I've had someone book a cab for me, I either do it myself or just hail one, depending on where I am.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel taxi tip

You can always call for a taxi yourself - here are the phone numbers for the licensed taxi cab companies in the City of Los Angeles:

www.taxicabsla.org/phone_numbers.html

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel taxi tip

Most hotels don't need to actually "book" taxis. The taxis are usually outside the hotel waiting or nearby. IF an employee out front(door man or valet for parking cars)hails a taxi for me I hand him $1or $2 depending on what I have on hand.

I really wouldn't worry all too much about that .

No one will chase you down the street yelling at you if you don't tip him!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,897 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel taxi tip

This is one of those 'gray areas' when it comes to tipping. Reception clerks do all kinds of helpful things for guests but are often ignored when it comes to tipping. I would surely tip a couple of dollars (it will bring joy to the person who made the arrangement for you). If the taxi is arranged in advance for an important occasion (like returning you to the airport on time), I'd probably tip more ($5); for just a ride to a nearby restaurant, $2. But, again, there are dozens of opinions on this.

5. Re: Hotel taxi tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:24