We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

We are staying 5 nights in LA and want to do all the tourist things plus the beach but not sure what location to stay in? our budget is not too tight, we have been suggested the Beverely Garland, is this good location? are there shuttle buses to go to the beach? maybe Santa Monica? thank you!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

Beverly Garland is a terrible location, I would imagine a travel agent suggested it, as they are wont to do, and clearly have never stayed there.

Santa Monica is a great location because it's at the beach, but you might want a car (it's like Brighton/Hove in feel). West Hollywood is more central (like Soho in feel), Hollywood is for those on a budget (like Picadilly) Beverly HIlls is also central (is like Knightsbridge). What will you be visiting while in LA? What is your actual budget per night for a hotel?

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

Thank you for your suggestions! We have never been and want to get it right, so confusing as where to stay!..we want to do the usual ..MGM, Hollywood houses tour,the walk of fame,shopping and want to go to the beach to relax a little. we are looking for a nice hotel ( twin room) with a pool mid price range I guess 4 star?!, yes the travel agent suggested The Garland hmm..looks nice but if its not central! thank you! really appreciate your advice!

Also we wont be driving so relying on buses??!

Edited: 20 March 2014, 15:47
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

Our public transit pales in comparison to London's. We have only 2 rail stations and only 5 tube lines. The rest of the transit is buses. Here's a neighborhood map that might be helpful:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

FYI, the Garland Hotel (it's new name, btw) is to the northwest of Universal City (at the top of the map) -- not central at all.

You might take a look at our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of the page to get an overview of our metro area. (You'll need a computer or tablet to see it). Lots of good info there including descriptions of the various neighborhoods. Your main question: 'where to stay to see the popular tourist sites as well as the beach' is the most common question on this forum so you might want to look at previous discussions on this topic. (Our TOP QUESTIONS area explains how to do this).

Briefly, though, where you stay depends on a number of factors:

a. Your specific hotel budget. Some areas, like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are expensive; West Hollywood and the Beverly Grove area (my favorite neighborhood -- it's like Earl's Court) are mid-range and Hollywood and our downtown area the least expensive. (But parking fees can be expensive in downtown and other places!).

b. The type of environment you're looking for near your hotel. For example, Santa Monica is 'at the beach'; Hollywood is known for large-scale nightlife (large dance clubs); Beverly Grove has lots of shopping (malls and smaller stores and has a less-touristy feel).

c. Your specific itinerary and your tolerance for longer drives or longer public transit trips.

Once you decide upon the neighborhood, our TOP QUESTIONS BOX explains how to find hotels in each area based on price, star-rating and availability.

Barbados
Level Contributor
92 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

I had posted for some similar advice for what area to stay in and got some valuable info . The areas suggested were Beverly Hills, West Hollywood and Hollywood. I myself settled on Lowes in Hollywood which goes for around $280 USD plus $38 per day for parking. I like the vibe and wanted to be in the center of it all - although a few persons find the area a little seedy (check out youtube for videos on Hollywood blvd). Many people on this forum seem to prefer Sofitel Beverly Hills ( was around $279-294 USD) on Expedia.com when I was booking) it is directly opposite a big mall and close to many restaurants etc - persons also mentioned that the area was nicer than Hollywood . For West Hollywood I like The London but that was in the $350 plus range .

From what I have gathered it also seems that a car is necessary in LA .....

Edited: 21 March 2014, 11:43
Barbados
Level Contributor
92 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

I am from the Caribbean and we have some of the most beautiful beaches so the beach isn't a priority on my list but again going on the advice given ...persons suggest splitting up ur stay when u visit California so maybe that is an option. Good luck!!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

Unfortunately, foreign travel agents seem to be in love with The Garland - they must offer some sort of favorable commission or other arrangement since travellers seem to be told to stay there so frequently by their agents. Unfortunately, its far from the beach and not really convenient to most everything else, and is really only convenient for Universal Studios.

In any case, you've gotten some good advice above. If you are planning to rent a car and want a 4-star central property, somewhere like the Sofitel can be a good choice.

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

Thank yousoo much for all your comments and taking the time to advise me, really kind!!! I have taken on board what you have all said and will look into these areas.We are going in june for my big 40 , doing Vegas first so really looking forward to our trip! I love USA :) x

8. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 20:28
9. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 20:28
Edited: 21 March 2014, 20:28
10. Re: Where is the best location to stay in LA? hollywood/beach?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20