We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
J R
Brighton, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

Hi Guys

We are going to be in Anaheim this August, our children are 7 and 10 so there is only so far they walk in a day I was planning to do a day in universal and two days at Disney - is that adequate...?

Do we need more time.....?

James

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,462 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

First keep in mind that Anaheim where Disneyland is located is not in LA, but is about a 1 hour drive South of that area.

Most of August is a very busy time at Disneyland as alot of U.S. Schools are on break from around early June till late August every year. Usually a 2 or 3 day Parkhopper is suggested for a visit. At a busy time, I would suggest the 3 day Parkhopper ticket. There is plenty to do in both Parks to keep you busy for at least that amount of time.

Universal Studios is pretty much a 1 day Park for most people, and usually all thats needed as its quite small.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

I would say a 3 days or more for the Disneyland Resort (two parks, Disneyland and California Adventure), and ad a day if planning to go to Knott's Berry Farm.

Universal Studios, if you do everything, is about a day and a half, so you can get the main things done in one full day.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,982 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

My son hated Universal Studios at age 8 except for the studio tour and a couple of rides. We spent 1/2 day there and moved on. He could spend days at Disneyland, even now as a college student! Plan 3 days at Disneyland and 1 at Universal with possibly a beach day in between!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

Universal Studios is opening up Minion Mayhem (a major attraction), and Silly Fun World (a water play area) based on the Despicable Me movies. Also, the park recently opened the Transformers Ride, which has been called the best Theme Park attraction in the World. Plus you have the Simpsons Ride. A lot of changed in the last decade at Universal and has made it more family friendly.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

I've been to Universal within the last decade.... I concur that a 1/2 to full day would be totally adequate.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,740 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

You will need to spend about 1 day at Universal to make the most out of it. Also 1 day for Disneyland as well.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,298 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

I'd say three days for the Disneyland Resort and about 1/2 a day at Universal Studios.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,546 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

James: You don't NEED any minimum amount of time at any of the Parks. Stay for as long as you please. Personally, 5 hours at Universal and one full day at Disneyland is plenty for me but everyone is different. I would be very surprised if your kids complained to you when you returned to Brighton that: "We love you but you should have taken us back to Disneyland for another day (or two)".

The Parks, like most CITIES, have lots and lots to see and do. Just as you wouldn't expect to see the entire city of London in a day or 2 (or 3), you won't be able to see all of the Parks in your limited time and most importantly, YOU DON'T NEED TO. Please enjoy the time you have there. I know your kids will. No one has ever reported that their kids had a bad time at Disneyland.

And, don't forget some RELAXATION TIME by the pool at your hotel. (You might even venture into Los Angeles to visit the second-largest city in the U.S.: hundreds of attractions -- lots of them, child-friendly).

Edited: 23 March 2014, 01:19
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
378 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

What i did for Disney land was over 3 days

1 DAY @ Disneyland

1 NIGHT @ Disneyland to see fireworks etc.

1 DAY @ adventure park.

1 x 5 hours @ Universal studios.

Any questions please ask, was a group of 6 of us, from ages to 15- 40

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland and universal Hollywood how long do you need..?

Hi. We were in Disneyland last week & spent 4 days between the two parks. We only had a 3 day pass but upgraded for the last day for US $ 25 each. Children are 5 & 8 years. Week days probably have shorter queues. 1 day was enough for Universal Studios, although we had time to take the back lot tram again as my husband wanted more photos.