We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

Hello

We are a family of four (youngest is 29 and eldest is 60) arriving in LA on a saturday at 6PM. We have to be in Las Vegas by noon sunday. I have booked a rental car at the LA airport for saturday evening arrival time itself.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but let me know if this is safe and feasible. Can we start driving for LAS Vegas right off the airport (at around 8PM maybe), and get out of the city for about an hour or two and then stay in a hotel, on the way to Las Vegas.

Having heard all about the safety issues in LA, i want to know if the above is a good plan or is it better only to leave early in the morning and make one continuous drive. Also I can use recommendation for hotels (budget about US$ 100-110 for all 4) and route (especially from LAX airport to I15).

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,783 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

Do not drive to Vegas after a long flight, with jet lag. It's a very dangerous idea. Also, there's no "driving out of the city" as the city sprawl continues for several hours of the drive. It is a 5 hour drive and you will not have traffic issues on a Sunday morning.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

Thanks Ellebein.

In this case, can you suggest hotels or areas where I should look for a hotel?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,854 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

Same answer as the other day, drive as far as Victorville. There are a lot of hotels in the area right off the 15 that are inexpensive.

If you have been on long flights before and now that when you land you'll be wiped out, don't drive. You can look a the Hacienda Hotel in El Segundo.

But if think you are up to a drive..... Victorville.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 16:20
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

I just wanted to add that I don't know where you have been reading about "safety issues" in LA??? I don't live there but know that it is just as safe as any other large city.

Perhaps the only safety concern might be you on the road driving with jet lag??

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

Why not transfer to a 1 hour flight to Las Vegas upon arriving at LAX? Among others, southwest.com has inexpensive flights to LV, as often as once per hour. We don't know your travel dates but for a departure from LAX in late April on a Saturday night, southwest has an 8:30 pm departure, arriving in LV at 9:35. The tickets are $66 per person. A taxi ride from the LV airport to the 'hotel zone' takes 5 to 10 minutes and costs less than $20.

This would save you having to drive, of course, and will also save you a night of "unpacking and repacking", let alone transferring to and from the LAX-area hotel, transferring to the car hire lot, etc. If this sounds interesting, I would book the tickets ASAP. You'd be in Las Vegas at about the same time you'd be in Victorville (if you drove). Trust me: Las Vegas is a lot more fun.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

On a budget of $100 on the way to Las Vegas, look at something near Arcadia California or Upland California. This will be only an hour's drive out of Los Angeles , but will be an hour's less driving on Sunday morning and the area will have more choices in your price range than Los Angeles does. Look at the Days Inn in Duarte or the Garden Inn in Glendora, they are budget-friendly and have 2 queen beds per room rather than 2 double beds.

7. Re: Accommodation around LA and When to leave for Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 05:17