We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for museum visits?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
358 posts
425 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for museum visits?

We're a couple in our 50's and we'll be in L.A. for 2 days at the beginning of June. We want to visit the Getty Center and possibly the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and the Norton Simon Museum. There are two of us and budget is around $200 per night but could go up to $250 if necessary. We'd like a place with a pool, free breakfast, and parking that isn't outrageously expensive. Casual restaurants nearby is a plus, don't care about nightlife.

Right now we have the Residence Inn Beverly Hills booked. Any other suggestions?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

If you have a car, stick with the Residence Inn BH, it is fine.

If you want a lower rate look at the Wilshire Crest Hotel.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

Scott's advise is sound. The area around the Residence Inn Bev Hills (which is actually, just outside of Beverly Hills) has some casual restaurants within a reasonable walk of the hotel but, it's kind of a boring area. Obviously, you could eat elsewhere and then drive back to your hotel to sleep. The same is true about the area around the Wilshire Crest (a favorite 2-1/2 star hotel) It's in a residential area but there are dozens of restaurants just 1 or 2 minutes away by car or a 13 minute walk.

I'm wondering, though, why you're concerned about the cost of parking and the need for a free breakfast but you've told us nothing about the 'class' of hotel you're looking for. If your budget is $200-$250, does it really matter if part of that budget is spent on breakfast and expensive parking or are you saying that you're prepared to pay for parking over and above the $200-$250 budget? If so, I'm still not seeing why the breakfast has to be free. I mention this because most 'free hotel breakfasts' are not very satisfying.

If it were me, I'd look at the 4-star Omni Hotel in downtown L.A. Technically, not in the center of your three attractions, but our downtown area has great freeway access so you'd be at your attractions in no time. Add to that, the Omni is a top-rated hotel here on Trip Advisor (when it comes to general customer satisfaction) and it is a 4-star. It, too, is in a quiet neighborhood with not too much in the way of casual dining but it's a 1 or 2 minute drive to Chinatown or Little Tokyo and the hotel, itself, has dining options.

If you'd prefer to have some 'pedestrian presence' around your hotel, the Elan Hotel (solid 3 star property in Beverly Grove -- just east of Beverly Hills) would be my choice. Within easy walking distance of dozens of restaurants and shops of all kinds and in all price ranges, this hotel is also very highly received. It's a 5-minute drive to LACMA. (This is where I would stay).

Here are reviews for the above two hotels along with the Residence Inn and the Wilshire Crest. (Click on the links below and then SCROLL DOWN for the reviews):

Elan Hotel:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d223041-…

Omni:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77804-R…

Wilshire Crest:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d274223-…

Residence Inn:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d84453-R…

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

Neither the Residence Inn or the Wilshire Crest has a pool as far as I know

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

For a similar price, you could stay at one of the LA area's great old hotels, the Langham Pasadena. Lovely grounds, set in a gorgeous residential neighborhood, very nice pool area. Short drive to the Norton Simon, very close to Huntington Gardens and Galleries (which you didn't mention, but might want to visit). About 30-40 minutes to LACMA; @ 45 minutes to the Getty. Some packages include breakfast and parking.

http://pasadena.langhamhotels.com/index.html

Pasadena is a wonderful area that tends to be less expensive than the Westside of LA.

I like Residence Inns, esp. when travelling with family, but they aren't that special, and this one isn't cheap.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
358 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

We're looking for a 3 - 4 star place. Sorry that I left that out. As far as the free breakfast goes, we prefer a fairly light breakfast, maybe some fruit and a bagel or similar. So we like when the hotel offers breakfast so that we can just eat and get going.

The Langham looks gorgeous but since the Getty is our top priority I'm reluctant to stay that far from it. I'm going to remember that one for the future though. The Omni looks great too, but doesn't seem like a good fit for us. I like the look of the Elan and am considering that one.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

Sorry, I missed the pool requirement. The Elan does not have a pool but the Orlando Hotel (nearby) does. It will be beyond your price range, though.

You might look at Hotwire.com for your dates. (What are your dates, btw?). Hotwire.com offers discount prices on rooms without disclosing the name of the hotel until you book. They DO disclose info about the hotel and the APPROXIMATE neighborhood. For an arbitrary stay from 6/4 to 6/6, hotwire is offering the following:

1. A 4-1/2-star property with a restaurant, pool, fitness center, and business center for $211 per night (+tax) in the Beverly Hills-West Hollywood area. This could be one of three hotels:

a. The L'Ermitage in the eastern part of Beverly Hills just west of the Beverly Grove

b. The Sofitel in Beverly Grove (adjacent to the Elan)

c. The Mondrian on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood.

Hotwire.com shows the approval rating for the hotel at 95% which would exclude the Mondrian. That leaves the Sofitel or L'Ermitage. There's no way to predict which one it will be. If it was L'Ermitage, it would be an incredible deal. The Sofitel is also very nice, however. When I search on hotwire.com under vacation packages (Hotel + car), Sofitel is not offered at all so I'm wondering if they currently book at the hotel. If they don't L'Ermitage would be the most likely outcome.

2. Also being offered is a 4-star in Beverly HIlls-West Hollywood with a pool and fitness center for $195+tax. Based upon its full description, the property is most likely to be the Intercontinental in Century City. While this is a lovely hotel, it, too, is in a bit of an isolated area (a business district with not much to walk to).

Given your requirements, I'd go for the 4-1/2 star property. Good luck!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

West Hollywood area hotels with a pool, look at Petit Ermitage, Le Montrose Suite Hotel, The Orlando, The Chamberlain, Grafton Hotel on Sunset and The Hotel Wilshire.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

Beginning of June isn't usually full summer here, and may not be hot enough for a pool to be required (unless you want to swim for exercise).

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

Also add the Luxe on Sunset in Brentwood to your list.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for museum visits?

I'm curious why no one has mentioned the Angeleno, which has the pool, the rates you are looking for, and free parking and/or breakfast with certain packages. It is the closest hotel to the Getty, practically walking distance. Is there a problem with it? I've never been inside but perhaps other locals know more.

http://www.hotelangeleno.com/specials.php

Edited: 25 March 2014, 17:08