We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
western australia
Level Contributor
653 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

Hi All

We get in to LAX at 2230, fly out at 2230 the next night. What would be a good option that doesnt cost the earth - I think we are going to end up having to pay for 1 night and an extended checkout. Like small places that are very clean, minimalist, a bit interesting- any hidden gems?

If we HAVE to do a big airport hotel I am leaning towards Custom House.

Also would what be achievable and interesting to do during the next day? Theme parks aren't of interest.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

It is a normal hotel but the Four Points LAX has a 24 hour rate.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 13:46
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

Depends how much you are willing to spend - what "costs the earth" for me might be easily affordable for you, or vice versa. Do you have a specific amount in mind or a price range that you can share with us? Also are you planning to rent (hire) a car?

Without a car and if you stay in the airport area Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach are a couple of places you might want to head to - they of course each have the beach, and both have a good amount of shopping and restaurants. Santa Monica also has a full-size carnival on its pier complete with a good sized roller coaster and a Ferris Wheel.

With a car you have a bit more flexibility, both in terms of where you can stay and where you can easily reach.

A bit of a hidden gem type of place to stay that's not far from the airport would be The Inn At Playa Del Rey but not sure if it would work with your budget. With a car its fine, without a car I don't think you'd want to stay there unless you are willing to pay for taxis to get around that day, which can be quite expensive and probably would cost more than getting your own car. Another would be the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach - not so much for the hotel itself but for the location which is quite close to the beach there. Again, you'd probably want a car if you stayed here unless you are content to just explore Manhattan Beach on foot.

With a car in terms of what you might see that day you have a lot of choices - the Getty Center museum in Brentwood, the Getty Villa museum in Pacific Palisades / Malibu, The Grove / Farmer's Market, LACMA (LA County Museum of Art), the Petersen Automotive Museum, the Page Museum / La Brea Tar Pits, the famous Rodeo Drive shopping area in Beverly Hills, a couple of hours in Hollywood to see the Walk of Fame / Chinese Theater etc., a quick drive through the famous Sunset Strip area in West Hollywood. Or you may want to take an organized tour - try www.starlinetours.com - which cover a lot of these places.

In terms of late checkout, if the issue is just what to do with your luggage, most hotels will let you leave your luggage with them the day you check out and return later that day to pick it up (i.e. before you head to the airport) but most "late" checkouts are not very late. If you want to keep your room you either have to pay for a 2nd night or get a hotel that will have more flexible checkout times or half day rates - the only two I know of are the Travelodge LAX and the Four Points by Sheraton at LAX.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 13:50
western australia
Level Contributor
653 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

Thanks to you both. We are not going to have a car so may well opt for the beaches. We were hoping to be <$130/night but that's looking pretty unlikely. Airbnb have a couple of options that I will also look at.

Thanks again

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

I'd bump up the budget just a tiny bit and stay at the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach, if they have availability. Spend the day in Manhattan Beach, just relax and enjoy the laid-back vibe. Maybe rent bikes and ride as far on the bike path as you like. No car needed, just a short taxi ride there and back.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

I think you're notion to NOT rent a car is unwise. It will keep you very close to LAX. Further, with your budget, your options are very limited to the point of unrealistic. Renting a car will open up a lot of options and deal with the issue of what to do with your baggage all day. That said, given you late arrival, you'll hardly spend any time at your hotel.

My budget Westside accommodations are the Villa Brasil Motel (you must rent a car) and the Craftsman House B&B in Culver City (near the Expo Line).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d657068-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32272-d1784957…

That said, your budget is very low.

HTH

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

If you do decide to stay at the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach, their rates start at $130 a night. The best thing about the hotel is that it's a couple blocks to the beach and 22 mile bike path that follows the ocean. They have a new fleet of Strand Cruisers that guests may use for free and you could ride to Venice or Santa Monica. They are 3 miles south of LAX, but you will have to take a taxi back and forth.

The day rate at Travelodge LAX is just $55. You can check in and stay between 8am and 9pm, no overnight. They have a free shuttle to hotel/airport.

7. Re: advice? nice/quirky hotel/bnb <24hr stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:16