We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

afternoon tours

australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
afternoon tours

My husband and I will be LA for approx 2 days in August arriving on Saturday 9th, however we arrive into LAX at 10.30am from Sydney and I presume it will take a good hour to get to Hollywood where we are staying, at the Magic Castle Hotel. I would like to do a city orientation tour in the afternoon, but I can't seem to find any companies who offer this. We have 1 full day on the Sunday, and I was planning to do a combined city tour/universal studios tour if I can't get an afternoon tour. Also I was thinking of WB Studio tour as well. Can anyone offer any info re afternoon tours in LA which we might be able to manage to get on, given our arrival time. We also fly out at approx 5.30pm on the Monday afternoon, giving us the morning to do tours as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: afternoon tours

You'll have immigration, customs and baggage claim to deal with when you land at LAX and that could take as much as 90 minutes. Then you'll need to transfer to Hollywood (are you driving or using public transit?) Either way, it will take at least an hour (could be 90 minutes) so, at best, expect to be 'out of the terminal' by about 11:30 and at your hotel by 1:00 pm. Most 'afternoon tours' depart from their 'tour depots' by then so unless you could find a tour company in Hollywood with such a departure time, you'd be out of luck and even if you could, you'd need time to drop your luggage at the hotel and make your way to the tour depot. I'm not seeing how it's possible for you to do an 'afternoon tour' on that first day.

You could take Starline's Hop On Hop Off (HoHo) tour which you can start at any time. The tour goes for 24 hours or 48 hours depending on the ticket you buy. In reality, the tour ends in the early evening and resumes the next morning but you can combine 'half-days' if you want.

You don't need a tour to go to Universal. From your hotel, there are 4 easy ways to get there:

a. Take the #156 bus that runs along Highland Av (about a 10 minute walk from your hotel), get off at the corner of Lankershim Bl & Cahuenga Bl (about 15 minutes later), walk 1 block east on Lankershim and turn right into the driveway of Universal and wait at the 'tram stop' for the free tram 'up the hill' to Universal. Transfer cost: $1.50 per person, each way or buy a $5 DAY PASS for unlimited public transit rides for the day.

b. Walk to the red line metro rail station at Hollywood Bl & Highland Av (about 10 minutes) and take the red line train 1 stop north to Universal City Station and meet the aforementioned tram across the street from the station. Transfer cost: the same as above.

c. Take the HoHo Tour. It includes a bus that goes to the MAIN ENTRANCE to Universal (at the TOP of the hill). Cost of the tour varies based upon how many days of tour you buy. Info is here:

starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-HOHO.asp

d. Take a taxi from your hotel: 10 minutes / $12 each way.

Warner Bros is also accessible by public transit. Walk to the southeast corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av and wait for the Metro 222 bus in front of the McDonald's. Ride it about 30 minutes to the corner of Riverside Drive and Hollywood Way ($1.50 or use your DAY PASS). Walk 2 blocks east on Riverside Drive to the office building at 3400 Riverside Drive (it will be on your right). Enter from the rear door and meet the tour at the rear counter in the gift shop.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: afternoon tours

Have you perused the tours found in the Things to do section of this page? If not, I recommend you do. There appears to be many and they are reviewed by those who've used their services. Some seem to be private operators, so they should be able to customize a tour for you and probably pick you up at your lodging.

At the top of this page, click Things to do (in the green bar). From that page, click the second tab, Activities, which brings you to more tabs, one of which is Sightseeing tours. Send some e-mails and see what happens! Good luck.

australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: afternoon tours

Wow, thank you so very much for all this information. You have certainly helped in what we do for our first afternoon in LA. Getting out of the airport makes more sense and we will be catching a taxi, I no it's expensive, but probably the quickest. The hop-on off bus makes sense and I hadn't thought of that.

Once again, a huge thank you for all your invaluable information. We are looking forward to seeing LA.

Cheers

4. Re: afternoon tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 07:15