We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquakes

Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Earthquakes

Hi Guys,

Travelling to LA on Friday and travelling around Cali, LA 3 days then drive the coastal drive to San Fran stopping in San Simeon for the night, then San Fran (4 nights) to Yosemite (1 night), Yosemite to Vegas (4 nights) and then back to LA for the night then back home....

Just a bit wary of all the quakes..... Any tips as we don't really have quake drills in the UK

Thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquakes

Hi Emma,

I can imagine it might be scary to people not used to a little rocking and rolling to be visiting SoCal now. I'm afraid of tornadoes or hurricane disasters they have on our east coast of the US so I understand the concern. I live by LAX and we had none of the damage that they inland in the town of La Habra. Everyone had their version of a strong jolt to ours feeling like you were riding a wave.

Sometimes if you are driving in a car you may feel nothing. Once my husband felt like he was having a flat tire so pulled over. Most of us locals have or should have an emergency kit in the trunk of our cars that we buy or make ourselves. We have some bottled water, flashlight with extra batteries bandages/first aid (you might be bringing a few of those with you). We do when we travel. We keep a blanket or beach towel in case we have to sit on the ground to wait for help. They say to have a granola or energy bar again in case you were not able to continue to drive in case of traffic.

We have an elaborate EQ Kit in our home. Lots of water and canned food for 3 days if a serious one hit.

If you would be inside a hotel room or in bed that it's best to roll/ drop to the ground next to the bed. That way if a chunk of ceiling falls there will be a space where it hits the bed first. If you were dining in a restaurant you would drop under the table. Things fall off the walls, mirrors can drop and shatter so watch out for glass.

That being said, over the years we usually "ride them out". We stay where we are and wait to see how long of one it is. When you see news clips on TV of people running out of stores and things flying off shelves you know it's a big one.

Good luck on your trip. Hope it's quiet!

Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquakes

Thank you for your reply. Were staying in marina del ray so that's near LAX as well, so hopefully we wont see any action, although strangely my partner is excited if we do as we haven't seen one before (strange one I know).

The advice is good to know, so basically hide under a table or a bed and have a few reserves in the car. That's pretty easy........... I stupidly watched the film 2012 last week so have all sorts of visions in my head ha ha ha!!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquakes

Generally, if you are inside a) get away from any windows - flying glass is one of the biggest risks of injury, b) head for a door jam and stand there - these are the strongest parts of most structures so the safest place to be.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquakes

The doorway advice is no longer recommended. Now it's "drop cover and hold".

earthquakecountry.info/dropcoverholdon/

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthquakes

Triangle of Life...crouch next to, but not under, any large sturdy object. Such as a heavy couch, coffe table or fridge.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthquakes

Triangle of Life is controversial as outlined here (more info in the link I posted above).

DO NOT get in the "triangle of life": In recent years, an e-mail has been circulating which describes an alternative to the long-established "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" advice. The so-called "triangle of life" and some of the other actions recommended in the e-mail are potentially life threatening, and the credibility of the source of these recommendations has been broadly questioned.

The "triangle of life" advice (always get next to a table rather than underneath it) is based on several wrong assumptions:

buildings always collapse in earthquakes (wrong- especially in developed nations, and flat "pancake" collapse is rare anywhere);

when buildings collapse they always crush all furniture inside (wrong- people DO survive under furniture or other shelters);

people can always anticipate how their building might collapse and anticipate the location of survivable void spaces (wrong- the direction of shaking and unique structural aspects of the building make this nearly impossible) ; and

during strong shaking people can move to a desired location (wrong- strong shaking can make moving very difficult and dangerous).

Some other recommendations in the "triangle of life" e-mail are also based on wrong assumptions and very hazardous. For example, the recommendation to get out of your car during an earthquake and lie down next to it assumes that there is always an elevated freeway above you that will fall and crush your car. Of course there are very few elevated freeways, and lying next to your car is very dangerous because the car can move and crush you, and other drivers may not see you on the ground!

Edited: 31 March 2014, 17:39
Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthquakes

I haven't thought about this as I am from natural disaster-free Singapore. But it does seem a real threat and I am especially concerned because my 3yo and 11mo will be travelling with us in June. Are there any special instructions for the safety of young kids from the City? Any of the experts here can advise how they prepare for their kids?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthquakes

Fireball,

Good for your concern, but thousands of people visit CA every week and don't spend time giving thought to earthquakes, though it's good a conversation like this comes up once in awhile. With the ages of your children they will likely be by your side all the time. The information and links given above hold true. I would not worry your 3 year old with too much talk about earthquakes. There have been regulations for buildings for many years and images of whole towns collapsing will likely not happen here.

You need to be more concerned your young ones are safely secured in car seats while you tour the State. When children are in school here we teach them to duck and cover in their classroom or on the playgrounds.

Always have bottled water available, a travel flashlight or the ap on your smart phone. If it was early morning and the electricity went out in your hotel, you would be glad to have some light if you needed to go outside or down a staircase. You should have your diaper bag filled with necessary items.

los angeles
Level Contributor
818 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Earthquakes

Emma W,

I believe the last major earthquake in SF was in 1989 which killed 63 people ( 63 / 15 yrs = 4.2 casualties /yr )

In LA (Northridge) was 10 yrs ago which killed 57. (57 / 10 = 5.7 casualties /yr.)

The chances of you getting killed in an earthquake during your stay is almost ZIPPO. Don't sweat it.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earthquakes

California experiences earthquakes every day, but most are not even felt. The chances of a big one hitting while you're here is slim to none.