We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation / TAP card

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prague, Czech...
4 posts
Save Topic
Public Transportation / TAP card

Hi,

I will be in LA for 10 days in May and Im a little bit confused with a TAP cards.

from Metro.net:

>After using your TAP card to board a Metro bus or other participating municipal line, pay the bus operator the cash fee for a Metro-to-Muni transfer, and use the paper transfer slip or transfer that is loaded onto your TAP card<

What is the "transfer"? Does that mean, that if I go with Metro bus and want to continue with non-Metro TAP accepting bus, I have to ask a driver (is that the operator right?) for some transfer and pay for it, even if I have a TAP card with loaded fare?

And if its true, isnt cheaper not to pay for transfer and buy a ticket on that other bus, like if Im not tranfering? (I guess not :)

Thanks a lot for every answer!

By the way, isnt someone going to Chino Airshow on May 3 with a car and 2 free seats? ;)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,262 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation / TAP card

You've got it right. The Standard fare of $1.50 will get you to most places on METRO buses or METRO RAIL trains. If you purchase a $5 DAY PASS that will give you UNLIMITED TRAVEL on METRO BUSES and METRO RAIL trains for the day.

However, if your transfer requires that you transfer to a bus that is not part of METRO like the Santa Monica Buses aka "Big Blue Buses", you'll have to pay for a 'transfer (ticket)' from the METRO BUS driver and you will show that paper ticket (or in some cases, the transfer ticket is imbedded onto your TAP CARD to the onward driver as fare for that ride. It's cheaper to pay for the transfer than to pay the regular fare on the NON-METRO BUS.

If you look at our TOP QUESTIONS BOX to the right side of this page, you'll see a section on public transit that explains things in detail. Here's a shortcut to this content (link and SCROLL DOWN):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c171690/Los-An…

In most cases, you won't need to transfer to a non-METRO bus because there is usually an alternative route that uses METRO exclusively but sometimes you will. The content above explains how to INSTANTLY find routes between any 2 points so you can see what types of buses you'll need to take. Only the buses are non-METRO; all of the light-rail and subway trains are part of the METRO system.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 18:24
Prague, Czech...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation / TAP card

Good!

Thank you for your help :)

3. Re: Public Transportation / TAP card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 07:16