We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions please ????

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan, Greater...
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
A few questions please ????

Hi

My daughter age 16 and I are coming to Hollywood staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Friday 22nd August for 3 nights this is the second part of our holiday we are having 4 nights in Vegas first then after LA 3 nights in San Fran.

We will be arriving mid afternoon on Friday we was wondering what is our best option getting from the airport to our hotel?

We will be leaving Monday to get a flight to San Fran we are planning a day at universal studios and the other day sightseeing walk of fame etc do you think sat or sun for universal studios ? And are we aswell to try to arrange tickets before we arrive ?

Also is it practical to try to get there using public transport ?

Many thanks in advance

Julie

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions please ????

First, if its not too late you may want to consider using the Burbank airport (airport code BUR) for your flight to LA from Vegas, and for your flight to San Francisco from LA. Airfares to/from BUR tend to be about the same as LAX, but BUR is a) a much smaller airport, so quicker to get in and out of and b) is quite a bit closer to Hollywood than LAX is.

The two main ways from LAX to your hotel in Hollywood would be a) taxi (about $55) or shared van shuttle ($16 per person). The shared van companies are www.primetimeshuttle.com and www.supershuttle.com The disadvantage of the shuttle vs. the taxi is that the shuttle can try and circle the airport a few times to try and fill the van, and before they drop you off at your hotel they may detour to drop off other passengers. Bottom line, these shuttles can take longer than a taxi.

The third way from LAX to Hollywood is to take the FlyAway bus (Google for this) from LAX to Union Station, for $8 per person, and then at Union Station take the Red Line subway towards North Hollywood and exit at the Hollywood / Highland Station. From there you'd have a walk of 1/4-1/2 mile north on Highland Ave. to your hotel. The red line will require you to purchase a TAP card from the subway station vending machines ($1 per person) and then the subway fare will be loaded on to your card, $1.50 per person. So total cost for this option is $10.50 per person, though you may chose to load a day pass onto your TAP card which gives you unlimited rides for the day on Metro buses, subways and light rail trains and costs $5. This can take a bit longer than the shared van but its the cheapest way.

For Universal, you can check www.mousesavers.com for discounts and see which if any need you to pre-purchase tickets.

You can probably do the Hollywood sights near your hotel the same day as Universal (Universal = about 3/4 day and the Hollywood stuff is a few hours at most), or if not they probably will not take all of your second day so you should have at least 1/2 - 3/4 of the 2nd day to do something else.

Wigan, Greater...
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions please ????

Hi MachThree

Thank you for your most detailed reply I do appreciate you taking your time to do so

We are already pre booked to go into lax airport it has been put together as a package by our local Tavel operator

My daughter really enjoys to try to travel public transport she thinks it's more fun, more stress really lol

So I will def look at the flyaway bus option you suggested if we were to do the shuttle could we just get this on arrival or does this have to be pre booked?

Seems like the tap card is operated a bit alike the New York subway maybe a good idea to get one for our stay

I was thinking we would need a whole day for universal and have been suggested to pay extra for the front of line tickets I will certainly check the mousesavers

Do you have any suggestions for the time we may have left after what's planned ?

I presume from the info we have been given from our tour operator that our hotel is located close by to the centre is this correct ?

Many thanks again

Julie

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions please ????

Your hotel is well located for public transit and tour buses (www.starlinetours.com - you might want to consider their hop-on/hop-off tour, or their grand city tour), so without a car its a good location, though not exactly in the center of LA, per se. Beyond that, for the extra time, the question would be what types of things interest you? Otherwise, its a very broad question that's difficult to answer.

re: Front of the Line pass at Universal - the trick to that is to a) buy regular tickets, b) enter the park, c) if its really crowded and you think spending more for the FOL passes is worth it that day, ask any park attendant where to go to upgrade to the FOL pass. If you decide to, you'll be charged the difference in price between the regular passes and the FOL passes. So this way, in other words, you get to pay for the regular passes, go inside, see if its really busy enough to spend the extra money for the FOL passes, and only spend the money if it is in fact necessary. This is a lot better than just spending the money before going inside and then finding out its not crowded.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions please ????

re: the shared vans, from the airport to your hotel you do not need to book them, strictly speaking, but I would suggest doing so in any case. For returning to the airport from your hotel, yes, you will need to book in advance.

Wigan, Greater...
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions please ????

Great idea hop on hop off tour maybe a nice option

That being an option to upgrade to FOL pass is prob the best option for us did have in mind with it being weekend wether it's likely to be busier one day or the other

My daughter and I love to shop sometimes not to buy but to visit the stores and have a good mooch about

Also somewhere nice to take some good photos my daughter is currently studying photography

Thank you for some really good advice

Julie

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,074 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions please ????

Hi, Julie

Which airline(s) are you flying for your domestic flights between Las Vegas-LA-SF?

Wigan, Greater...
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions please ????

Hi HopSkipJump

All the flights are United Airlines

Just curious why do u ask ?

Cheers Julie

8. Re: A few questions please ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 07:16