We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are here, and don't have enough to do!

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
We are here, and don't have enough to do!

Hi guys,

So we are finally in LA now, got an AirBnB, have a rental, check out Santa Monica, Malibu, had some really good sushi... and now what? (You guys were right, took a lot less to cover it).

Quick recap on who we are: we are both in our 20s, f & m friends, not looking to break night partying but would like to check out bars, music (very wide range of tastes so not very picky), food, any must do you guys can think of.

I had not counted on the weather being so chilly, so my plans of enjoying the beach went out the window, I'm having a hard time finding things that I'd like to do now. I just spent a week in New Orleans and a week in San Diego and had a blast so maybe my brain wants a bed more than fun. But anyhow, we are here now, plan to go do the walk of fame, the hollywood sign, rodeo dr, and malibu creek (maybe!) tomorrow during the day. We got tickets to see Blackberry Smoke at the House of Blues tomorrow night.

We have absolutely no plans for tonight and would like to find some cool bars or maybe some more live music?

No clue how to spend Thursday or Friday.

Help?

Thanks!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

Your dilemma sounds puzzling. Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Hollywood, and downtown LA are all lively neighborhoods. Look in the LA Weekly for details.

http://m.laweekly.com/calendar/

I would suggest replacing Malibu Creek with the Getty Center. At minimum, it is great for lunch and the views. Certainly better than Malibu Creek.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d14…

Possibly, the Grammy Museum would be of interest. LA Live certainly could satisfy some of your nightlife.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d17…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d20…

HTH

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

If you like cars check out the Petersen Automotive museum. Located on the corner of Wilshire Bl and Fairfax Bl; accessible by the LA bus system.

http://www.petersen.org/

Across the street from the museum is the Museum of Contemporary Art

http://moca.org/

A short walk from the museum is the La Brea Tar pits attraction. Besides the very interestin Tar Pits is the adjoining Page Museum.

http://www.tarpits.org/

A 25 minute walk from the Tar Pits is the Farmer's Market and The Grove Shopping center.

.... All this alone will take a full day....

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,008 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

Go bar hopping downtown one night. Check out the Venice Canals, walk Main Street. Take a boat ride or a gondola ride. Hike the Santa Monica Mountains. Go horseback riding. Visit Will Rogers Park. Walk along Melrose Ave. Walk along Third Street. Go to Farmers Market. Visit Warner Brothers and take a tour.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

"I had not counted on the weather being so chilly, so my plans of enjoying the beach went out the window.

Welcome to California!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

It will probably be warm enough for you to spend Friday afternoon at a beach.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

re: post #2, its the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) that is next to these other museums - www.lacma.org MOCA is located in downtown LA and is also worthy of a visit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

Hitch, sorry for the confusion. We already did Santa Monica & Malibu. I found concert tickets for tonight on LA Weekly (wicked excited about that!).

I like the Getty Center option!

I’m mostly museum’d out from the previous couple of weeks but we will likely check the Petersen, thanks!

Elle, we did a bit of bar hoping (really just a bit) on Sunset Blvd, unsure of what you guys mean by downtown, that looks like a downtown : ) Thank you for the suggestions!

As for hiking, sigh, my travel partner refuses to hike anything. Sad face.

Bigdog, not nice! Lol I was in San Diego and it was beachy… didn’t see this coming, oops.

Redlands – fingers crossed!

Thank you for the last minute suggestions! I think we just filled our Thursday & Friday!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

There is an entire tab, Thing to do.

Do you exercise? We have more hiking trails than you can shake a stick at, and this is the time of year to enjoy them. You are correct, it's chilly, but we've had an exceptionally warm winter and this cool break is the first we've had.

Take a day trip to Anza Borrego State Park or Joshua Tree National Park for wildflower and cactus blooms.

Go on a whale watch.

Visit some of the small, beach towns: Manhattan and Hermosa Beach.

Griffith Park is another place you can get lost in with hiking, the zoo, observatory.

The Endeavor space shuttle is located at the Science Center. The Natural History Museum is located there, too, and is quite excellent.

Downtown Los Angeles - find it on a map and head there!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

"[U]nsure of what you guys mean by downtown, that looks like a downtown..."

Downtown LA is located about 15 miles east of the Pacific Ocean. Not sure where you are staying. From the westside, simply get on the 10 freeway and head east. Transition to the 110 north. Exit immediately at 9th Street. LA Live is right there. That's why I suggested you check out the Grammy Museum. That said, downtown isn't just LA Live. There's also the Historic Core, Financial District, Bunker Hill, Little Tokyo and more. For nightlife, downtown is very much at the center of what's happening. Particularly for you and your yen for nightlife, you're missing a lot by skipping downtown.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We are here, and don't have enough to do!

Gene Autry Museum of the American West (now including the collections of the Southwestern Museum) is a different kind of museum experience (within Griffith Park).

Virtual bowling at Citywalk.

Guitar Center on Sunset if you like music.

Are Farmer's Market/The Grove on your list? Does your partner like interior design - the Pacific Design Center is a nice fieldtrip (also called The Blue Whale). Not far from good shopping on Melrose.

You can go see where Marilyn Monroe got her hair dyed (and Lucille Ball too) at the Hollywood Museum (near the walk of fame). Hollywood Forever Cemetery comes to mind.

Studio tours? CBS is right next to Farmer's Market. NBC is further out, in Burbank.