We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in LA and Sandiego

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
3 Days in LA and Sandiego

Hi, Thank you everyone in advance for responding to my question. We are two couples and planning to visit LA and San Diego on coming extended weekend 18 April to 20 April. I can start my trip on 17th evening and want to be back Phoenix by Sunday evening. We are planning to travel by own Car. Please suggest the places we must visit in both cities. We all are first time visitors.

so far i have thought of Disney land and Universal studios and for sure beaches(please suggest best beaches).

Also if you could give suggestions of hotels to stay with free parking. My budget for hotel is 100 to 125 per room/per night.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in LA and Sandiego

Your budget for LA is very low. It is unrealistic for a beach hotel in LA. I don't know what rates are in SD. You should post directly in that forum.

Take a look at the Things to Do FAQ. I sense you're interested in theme parks. There are plenty of those in LA, Orange and SD counties. Your question is very broad. So it is difficult for people to help you. Tell us what are your interests. Just the beach and amusement parks?

If you're going to Disneyland, stay in Anaheim for the night.

My general impression is you don't grasp the distances involved. San Diego is at least three hours from LA, more if traffic is bad. Given you have only three days, you might find it more sensible to select one location -- LA, Orange County, San Diego -- and focus your visit on that location. Otherwise, you'll spend an inordinate and likely unpleasant amount of time driving in freeway traffic.

HTH

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in LA and Sandiego

I agree your budget is too low especially since this is over the very popular Easter weekend although you may be able to find some motel in Anaheim, try posting on the Anaheim forum with your dates and budget and hopefully one of the Anaheim DEs like happytotrip or Redlands Redhead can help.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in LA and Sandiego

if i increase my budget, to 150-200, would that be ok. I am reconsidering my trip to only one place and that is LA. I am looking forward for water sports, beaches, downtown,night club, photography,hollywood sign.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in LA and Sandiego

I think that is a wise that you chose one or the other!

You might want to look at lodging in Marina del Rey. While not beachfront (it's a large marina), you are likely to find lodging close to your budget and it's a very easy trip to Abbot Kinney Blvd. (great restaurants), Venice Beach and Santa Monica.

Water sports can be done out of the marina (kayak/sup/sailboat/sports fishing/booze cruises). Photography at the Venice Canals (especially with the morning light) is quite a good time. Afterward, have breakfast or lunch at the Sidewalk Cafe on Venice Beach. I also love the views of the Malibu coastline from Santa Monica with the pier/ferris wheel in the foreground. Made a very nice holiday card one year!

If you have time, a drive up Pacific Coast Highway through Malibu (go all the way to Pt. Mugu State Park at the county line). When you return down PCH, you are on the ocean side, so can stop often to visit beaches, see some big homes, etc. Stop at Duke's for a late lunch/early dinner - very fun place!

Santa Monica's Main St. and 3rd St. Promenade will be good for nightlife, but so is Hollywood, West Hollywood, and downtown LA.

Alternatively, there are good hotel rates in Hollywood (generally), and it's a good base for getting downtown, for example. Would probably take 35-45 minutes to get to the beach from Hollywood, depending on time of day.

On a weekend, it's an easy, quick drive to downtown LA. In addition, many parking lots have really cheap rates on weekend days, so driving there on a weekend day is a fine idea. If you plan to go during a weekday, it's better to use mass transit, as parking rates are higher (for all those office workers).

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in LA and Sandiego

since you will have your own car, try the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach - its not the most central (convenient) area in LA but with your own car its reasonable and that particular hotel is, while not fancy, quite well located in one of LA's best beach areas and is only a few hundred feet from the sand.

6. Re: 3 Days in LA and Sandiego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:16