We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

Hi this is ankit here.

First time to LA for 4 nights on my honeymoon. will be staying at the Peninsula for 2 nights and The Beverly Hilton for the other 2 Nights. Both are in Beverly hiils.

Can you please suggest, what all things are a must. Since this will be my first time to LA, the only thing I knw is not to miss Disney/Universal and Santa Monica Beach. However, I am sure there are more things that can be explored. I am also looking at some adventure sports apart from clubbing in the night.

I ll arrive on 23rd and check out on 27th April 2014.

Also, does renting a car sound like a good idea for city driving, what is the cost associated with it, will I get it on my Indian DL/Passport.

Please Suggest

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

Start with our TOP QUESTIONS BOX (at the right side of this page) and learn about our metro area. You can also find ideas about 'what to do' by looking for the things to do' link at the top of this page in the green horizontal bar. (You'll need a COMPUTER or tablet accessing the FULL Tripadvisor site -- not the mobile version of trip advisor -- in order to see this content).

If you don't have this type of device, here is a link to similar content to the TOP QUESTIONS:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k506308…

Here's a shortcut to the 'things to do' area:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-Activitie…

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

First thing to know is that Disneyland is not in Los Angeles. It is in Anaheim, quite a distance away. It is generally recommended to have at least two days in Disneyland Resort Parks, with one full day in Disneyland Park itself. But with the size of your party, I think you will be fine with one full day at Disneyland Park only if you use good timing.

Because of where you are staying, what you want to do and the time you have, I would recommend renting a car. Check the Hertz website for rates. They are a good international company.

If your flight, which I see from another thread must be to San Francisco, on the 27th of April is not an early one, I think the best date for Disneyland Park is Saturday the 26th of April. You need to travel freeways to get to Disneyland. Going on Saturday will mean you have lighter traffic than the other days.

You still need to leave early, because getting into the park as close to opening as possible is essential to beat the crowds. The first couple of hours will be the least crowded, although I anticipate that week and that day to be pretty crowded. As a matter of fact, I suggest you eat an early lunch in the park to avoid lines when you are very hungry.

It should take around 45 minutes to get to Disneyland Resort once you enter the freeway system. You will want to park in the parking structure called Mickey and Friends. The staff will direct you where to park as you follow the other cars. Remember the level you park on by the character's name and color. Follow signs that say To Trams. The trams will take you up near the entrance plaza to the two parks. Before entering the entrance plaza, you will go through a security check to make sure you are not carrying items into the parks that are not allowed (they are mostly checking for weapons, glass bottles, alcohol - you can bring in small amounts of snacks and sandwichs). There are several ticket booths steps away from the security check. Disneyland Park turnstiles are on the left side. It takes about a half an hour from parking to turnstiles in the morning, even figuring in buying tickets. All in all, figure that it will take about an hour and 15 minutes to arrive in the park from the time you enter the freeway system.

Since you are on your honeymoon, you can get special buttons at Disneyland that say Just Married or Honeymoon (I can't remember exactly what). When you wear those the employees (called cast members) who seem them will give you their best wishes and sometimes do something special for you, such as a song. To get the buttons, as you enter Disneyland go to City Hall on Main Street and ask for them. There may be a line to get to the counter. If you are buying tickets at the ticket booth, tell the cashier, "We're on our honeymoon!" and ask if they haves buttons for that. Sometimes the booths have a supply of the variety of buttons that Disneyland gives out. They are free, by the way.

I would recommend riding the Disneyland Railroad first to familiarize yourself with the park layout. Stay late and enjoy the fireworks and Fantasmic show. On Saturday night there will be swing dancing with a live band near Sleeping Beauty's Castle and in Tomorrowland there is a very good Elvis Tribute singer and band with a dance floor. Parks hours are 9 a.m. to midnight.

I have tentitive plans to go to Disneyland Park myself that Saturday, to celebrate my birthday (which is actually May 10), so who knows, I may see you two if you go on the same day and wear your buttons! I will be wearing my birthday button. : )

As for other things to do in LA, it sounds like you have a pretty full itinerary for the number of days you have. I don't think you could find an adventure sport to add into it, but maybe someone else can think of something.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 09:59
Southern California
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

Best wishes and check but I think your Indian DL should be OK as long as it is in the English language and not something like Arabic or Japanese, in those cases it is recommended to get an Internation Drivers' Permit which basically translates your license info into English. You would still need to carry your Indian DL. Best wishes to the both of you and enjoy your stay.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

For renting a car, try www.rentalcars.com - these guys are a third party booking company that books the car for you with the US car company, but they usually get you a good price especially since, as a foreigner, you need liability insurance with your rental and they bundle it in for a good price.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

Why are you changing hotels? They are practically across the street from each other... If you were to change hotels, I would change to one in Santa Monica.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
70 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

Venice Beach is a must when visiting the Los Angeles area. A great place to people watch and see the funky people on the Westside. I must warn you that there are a good amount of homeless in the area, but they won't really bother you. Santa Monica Beach/the Santa Monica Pier/3rd Street Promenade is close by (30 minute walk or ten minute bus/car ride at most). The Venice/Santa Monica area is about 45 minutes or so from where you are staying.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

Traveling to Disney on day two, then Santa Monica Beach on day three and seeing Universal and Hollywood on day four......that only leaves arrival day and departure day for "everything else" including your adventure sports. What time do you arrive and what time of day do you depart? A car will cost you about $50 per day plus $40 per night parking (at those two hotels). Be certain that you choose a company that includes collision and liability insurance in the price for residents of India.

In comparing the price for the car...........taxi to and from LAX airport will cost $50 each way to your hotels, transportation round trip to Disney and Universal probably about the same via Starline tours.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

I would not drive to Disneyland on a Wednesday. That week is still relatively busy for weekdays. They open at nine. Nothing extra offered at night like on Satuday. Assuming a honeymoon couple wants a soecial night in the park.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 04:50
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

You really only need a small car for the two of you. Reserve a compact. Most are pretty roomy and nice. The rate without insurance will probably be on average around $35. A midsize car could run $50. You need to start looking now if you have not already. Rates generally are higher when you reserve a car close to the date you need it.

Sometimes you get lucky and are upgraded to a bigger car at no additional cost when the location runs out of compacts. But then the bigger cars tend to use more gas.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 05:03
10. Re: What all things to visit for a couple - First timers to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:17