We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

Hello, I am going to travel to Los Angeles for 5 days, I would like to rent a car in LA so that will be easy to get around. I did some search on the website about rental car at LAX. I found EZ rental car is the cheapest one. Others are about 100 dollars expensive than EZ. Can anyone tell me how is EZ rental car at LAX. How about others(like Alamo, Avis)??

Thank you so much!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

Do not rent from a company that isn't one of the majors like Alamo and Avis, Hertz, etc. You really should book through an international rental site that includes insurance, etc, for foreign travelers. Someone here will post the link.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

CarHire3000.com aka RentalCars.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

Why are people recommending an international rental site to someone who is posting from Wisconsin?

I've never used EZ Rental, but agree about using a major agency. I usually rent from Hertz when i am in LA and have had good luck with them. Make sure you join the frequent renter program so you can bypass the counter and go straight to the vehicle. That will save you lots of time.

-JimG

Edited: 07 April 2014, 07:25
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

Gee, Jim. It's called 'making a mistake'. I've posted 22,000 times. I'm entitled to a few. Let's keep it positive, okay?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

Agree, stick with the major rental companies - Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Thrifty, Alamo, Budget, etc. Two old folk wisdoms seem to come in to play with car rentals - "you get what you pay for" and "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". This forum over the years has been littered with horror stories from people who rented cars from the non-major companies at LAX. Its your vacation and you do not want the headache of having to deal with the car breaking down or just a problem at the rental counter. That, plus basically its only the major companies at LAX that are allowed to run shuttles for their customers into the terminal areas to bring you to their rental locations which are all located slightly off the airport property. EZ is not one of these companies so if you rent with them, you have to take an extra free shuttle to one of the airport parking lots and then EZ will pick you up there. Extra step, extra hassle.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

Sorry, I didn't notice they were from the US, thought it was a foreigner. Stick to major companies, don't try EZ

7. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 16:01
Edited: 13 January 2016, 16:01
8. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 16:01
NJ
Level Contributor
552 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

I disagree with the advise about "never" renting from a low cost car rental company. It is wise to check reviews. I was going to rent from a company in MIA recently and did a quick google search (with the airport code in the search as one company in different cities can have different results) and the company came up with bad reviews with bait & switch. I went with the next highest company which was just $1 more per day and it was fine. The company I went with was EZ rent a car and my experience was great and it was half the price of the big boys.

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the rental car company in Los Angeles(LAX)?

thank you so much. I decided to rent a car from Alamo