We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

Looking to hire a car for a few days in LA dropping off in Anaheim but I'm really confused.

We don't want to pick up from LAX when we fly in as we'll be tired after an 11 hour flight, so I'm thinking of hiring it a day or 2 later once we're over the jet leg. In total probably be looking to have the car Sunday/Monday to Wednesday evening (dropping off in Anaheim as we're going to Disney Thursday)

Can anyone tell me what companies off this? Also 3 of us will all do some driving so I assume we can have insurance for 3 people?

I've never hired a car before so excuse the silly questions but I don't have a clue. We plan to book the car in the UK before we come as I know this is cheaper but I'm worried we'll get hit with extra charges when we pick the car up.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

Now, I'm a little confused. Are you wanting to pick up the car from a location near your hotel (where IS that, btw?) or from LAX?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

We are staying at the Beverly Garland near universal studios. We want to hire from somewhere near by the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Garland
The Garland
3,309 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

Thanks for the clarification. The Beverly Garland (which is undergoing a 'name change' to become the Garland Hotel) is in the neighborhood known as "North Hollywood" which is 'over the hill' from Hollywood and the rest of central Los Angeles in the massive northern suburbs known as the San Fernando Valley.

There are a few options available to you. Here they are:

1. You can pick up the car from a car hire company that is close to the hotel

2. You can transfer to Bob Hope Airport (airport code: BUR) in the nearby city of Burbank and pick up the car there.

3. You can use public transit it to take you to a nearby district and pick up the car there.

I mention all of these because there appears to be a big variety of prices depending on where you pick up. Recently, a poster had a similar request as yours and it turned out to be 40% less expensive if she picked up the car in Hollywood rather than in North Hollywood. Specifically, she picked up the car at the Hertz counter in the Loews Hollywood Hotel on Highland Av, just north of Hollywood Bl. So, you might look into the cost associated with doing that as well as picking up the car at the Budget car hire office on Hollywood Bl, just west of HIghland Av (around the corner from the Loews Hotel). Both of these offices are in Hollywood. To look up these costs, go to the U.S. sites of the popular car hire agencies like Hertz.com and change your residency to UK to get the best rates and so that all needed insurance will be included.

To reach Hollywood, you have 2 major options from your hotel:

1. The Metro #156 bus pulls up across the street from the hotel and goes to Hollywood, stopping at the corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av within easy walking distance of both of the aforementioned car hire locations. You could pick up the car at the end of a day of touring or transfer from your hotel to Hollywood on the morning of the day that you'll be heading to Anaheim.

2. The hotel offers a free shuttle to Universal Studios which will also stop at the Universal City metro rail station (just request it). From there, take the red line train (it's the only one that stops at this station but make certain that you're heading southbound -- 'toward Union Station), just one stop (5 minutes) to the corner of Hollywood & Highland Av (same intersection as above). When you emerge from the metro rail station, the Budget office will be across the street and the Loews Hotel (Hertz office) will be close by, as follows: turn left out of the station; turn left at the corner of Highland Av; the hotel will be just ahead on the left.

Compare the prices of these 2 options with the prices associated with picking up the car at BUR airport. You can use a third-party car hire booking agency like rentalcars.com to inquire about this booking or, as above, use the local car hire websites like Hertz.com but in the latter case, be sure to change your residency to UK so that you'll get the best rates and so that your insurance will be included in the quote.

To reach BUR from the hotel, you have a few options:

a. Public transit -- Take the #156 Metro Bus NORTHBOUND -- away from Hollywood -- to the North Hollywood Station (12 minutes / $1.50) and connect with "Burbank Bus Noho Empire" (16 minutes/ $1) to the corner of Thorton Av & Hollywood Way -- a bus stop across the road from the tiny airport. Some of the car hire lots are IN the airport; others are just outside of the airport, adjacent to this bus stop. Check to see where you;re going. If you're heading into the airport, do this: cross to the west side of Hollywood Way, and walk west along the sidewalk that parallels the entrance road to the airport. (Walk on the north side of this road). The walk to the terminals is about 7 minutes. The car hire offices are just beyond the terminals. You can't miss them.

b. "Shared van" -- will take about an hour including waiting for the van and riding around whilst the van picks up and drops off others. The fare is $18 for one person and $10 more for a second person. You might tip the driver $1 per bag if he/she assists you in loading/unloading. So, one of you could take the van to the airport and then drive the car back to pick up the other one.

c. A taxi. It's a ride of about 10 minutes and a distance of about 4.5 miles. The fare should be around $22 including tip. Clearly the taxi is the quickest and easiest and it costs about the same as the 'shared van'.

The last option is to pick up the car from a car hire lot that is close to your hotel. None are within walking distance but there are a few that are fairly close by. Here they are:

1. Hertz on Lankershim Bl in North Hollywood

2. Budget rent-a-car on Lankersim Bl in North Hollywood

3. Enterprise on Ventura Bl in Studio City

4. Avis on Ventura Bl in Studio City.

Contact them to see if they will pick up at no charge from your hotel. Alternatively, take a taxi or local bus to get there.

Happy researching!

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Garland
The Garland
3,309 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Burbank
Burbank
California
Loews Hollywood Hotel
Loews Hollywood Hotel
4,052 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
31,019 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Ventura
Ventura
California
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, very helpful!

Do hire companies usually try and get you to purchase hidden extra's? I know that in your post you say insurance would be added but I've heard stories of people being told you need this and that when in reality they don't.

Will it be any more for 3 of us to be insured to drive the car.

Many Thanks

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

Yes, some will try to get you to purchase extra things. You don't need anything else so just say "No, thank you. I'm covered for everything already". It's only occasionally that a clerk will really lean on a customer to purchase these extras. It's happened to me a couple of times and I just say (the second time it is brought up): "Thank you, but everything is taken care of. I do not need to pay for anything else. But thank you, I do appreciate it".

I honestly don't know the answer about 3 drivers. I know that a second driver is automatically covered. Perhaps, someone else will know. If not, go to whichever website you plan to use and ask there.

For example, rentalcars.com addresses this question on their website, here:

http://www.carhire3000.com/Help.do

Here's what Hertz has to say about additional drivers:

https:/…

and when one goes to hertz.com and initiates a reservation (after changing one's residency to the UK in the upper right corner) and then searches for a car and clicking on 'vehicle details' under the photo of each car being offered for hire), Hertz.com responds with the following verbiage re: additional drivers:

*Authorized Operators

Acceptable Authorized Operators age 25 and older are automatically covered on the Rental Agreement.

Authorized Operators are:

- The employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number).

- The renter's spouse for rentals that originate in California or or Iowa.

- Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.

- There are no fees for Authorized Operators.

Additional Authorized Operators

- Individuals not automatically covered on the Rental Agreement as Authorized Operators noted above may be signed on as an "Additional Authorized Operator" (AAO). AAO's must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.

- Renter and each AAO must be present to sign Rental Agreement, present an acceptable credit card or debit card (if renting city accepts debit cards) in their own name, or a current round-trip ticket (air, train or bus), show valid driver's license, and must be a minimum of 20 years of age. For those 20 through 24 the location's age differential will apply.

Additional Authorized Operators Fees:

There is no fee for Additional Authorized Operator.

Exceptions

AAA - Spouse/Domestic Partner* of AAA members are not required to have a separate AAA membership in order to receive the free AAO privileges. For other rentals, the AAO fee is also waived when both the renter and the AAO are AAA members when booking includes AAA discount number.

*Domestic partner: An unmarried partner of the same or opposite sex (not a relative) who permanently resides as part of the same family unit, at the same address as the renter, as validated by the address on the driver's license."

Therefore,there appears to be no charge for additional drivers but they need to have a photo id and credit card.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,077 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

I would look at rates from RentalCars.com (formerly CarHire3000.com & traveljigsaw.au). There is no dropoff fee and they provide all the insurance someone from the UK needs.

The Beverly Garland is NOT a good place to be without a car. It is a great little hotel, but you really need a car there for just about anything. They are limited restaurants down on Ventura Blvd you can walk to.

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Garland
The Garland
3,309 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Ventura
Ventura
California
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

Thanks for the advise guys, very much appreciated!

8. Re: car hire from LA dropping off in Anahiem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:17