We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

Hi all, finally nailed down the details of my itinerary for LA/Anaheim. Appreciate some help to fill in the blanks here and there. Comments are welcome too!! Just to re-cap, we are a travelling party of 3 adults, 3yo and 11mo.

14 June (Sat)

- Touch down at 1010. Pick up rental and head to nearest Target at Culver for a booster seat. Will be bringing in a child seat for the little one.

- 1300-1700 Santa Monica: Lunch + Walkabout Promenade, Broadwalk, Beach, Playgrounds (Is 4hrs here, including time for lunch, too much or just right? Where should I park?)

- 1800-2000 Hollywood: Walk of Fame, Dolby Theater, TCL Chinese Theater. I am doing Hollywood sign the next day (Is it too late to do these? Where should I park?)

- Check-in Holiday Inn Express. End of day.

15 June (Sun)

- 0900-1030 Hollywood Farmer's Market (Is this worth going? I am considering this or Original Farmer's Market)

- 1130-1300 Rodeo Drive Concours D'Elegance - showcase of privately owned vehicles (once a year affair on Father's Day) : Hubs is a big fan of Top Gear so thought this would be interesting plus what's the odd we are there on Father's Day!! (Where can we have lunch? Where should I park?)

- 1330-1400 Hollywood sign up-close

- 1430-Nightime Griffith Park: Griffith Park & Southern Railroad, Merry-Go-Round, Pony Rides, Observatory for the stars (Around what time does the sun set in June? How crowded will the Observatory be -- I am thinking whether the onsite café has enough food to cater or I should pack something along Los Feliz on my way up? Will likely swing by Pink for supper takeaway :) Given the limited onsite parking, any idea where are the alternative lots?)

- Return to hotel. End of day.

16 June (Mon)

- 1000-1230 Union Station, lunch at Philippe (any other areas nearby worth taking a look? Where should I park?)

- 1300 On the road to Anaheim. Stopover at Knotts Berry Farm if required (Any idea how long the journey for that time on Monday?)

- 1500 onwards Check-in HOJO. R&R for rest of the day. Likely to visit Anaheim GardenWalk to pick up amenities (Or would it be worth for me to visit Disney that late in the afternoon)

17 June (Tues)

- 0900 onwards Shopping at Desert Hills Premium Outlets. Yes I know it's a long distance but it has all the shops I am keen in, compared to Camarillo. (Any suggestions on where to stopover on the journey there and back?)

18 & 19 June (Wed & Thurs)

- 0930 onwards DISNEY. 2-day parkhopper. Open to extend to 3-day if you all think it's worth to visit on 16 June PM.

20 June (Fri)

- 1100 Check-out. Drive to LAX for 4.40pm flight to HNL. Stopover at Mrs Knott's for lunch. Reckon we will arrive latest 1400 and be able to drop-off rental + check-in ard 1430-1500.

What do you all think? Too intense for the little ones, or at a good pace?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

I'll take a whack at the LA parts.

Are you saying you're going to walk off an international flight from Singapore and spend the day touring about? That doesn't sound reasonable to me. I've never flown into LAX from across the Pacific. But, I assume there will be jet lag.

I would suggest parking at the parking lots at City Hall in Santa Monica. Very inexpensive. You can walk to the pier and beach and Third Street Promenade from here. Everything is just a couple of blocks. There's a new and beautiful park across the street which is kitty-corner to the entrance to the pier. Yes, there is more than plenty to see and do for four hours. You could easily spend a few days happily.

By the by, if the weather is good, you are going to hit traffic getting into Santa Monica, particularly if you take the 10 freeway into town. There is a large influx of people into Santa Monica on the weekends, more so when the weather is good. Lincoln might be a better option from LAX. I'm sure others will speak to that. If you take the 10 freeway, check traffic. The exit to 4th/5th Street is typically jammed. I usually exit at Lincoln. But, If traffic is bad, getting off at Cloverfield is worthwhile. Take Pico into Santa Monica.

Because it is Saturday, the drive into Hollywood shouldn't be a problem in terms of traffic. Simply take Santa Monica Blvd most of the way. During the week, this drive during rush hour would be a major drive.

Have you actually read the reviews for Hollywood? A couple of hours to walk around is plenty. Your kids will be utterly oblivious to it. Is there a reason why you are staying in Hollywood? If you're inclined to look at the Hollywood sign, there is a special deck at the Hollywood & Highland complex.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

No, the farmer's market in Hollywood is nothing special. The Original Farmer's Market is a great place for eating out with small children. We used to come here all the time. Consider having lunch here. My hunch is you'll like The Grove which is right next door. Consider parking on the roof at The Grove.

I assume when you mean to see the Hollywood sign up close, you're are referring to the small park near the reservoir? It is pleasant. Just get out your smartphone map application.

Griffith Park is very large. The little railroad in on the north side of the park. The Observatory is on the south side. They are really only accessible via a road on the east side of the park. If you look at a map, it appears there are many roads criss-crossing the park. Most of them are closed to vehicles. So you'll need to be mindful of the driving. I'm assuming someone in the family is a train fanatic?

The big reason why people go to Griffith Observatory is to check out the views. You don't have to go into the Observatory to do this. You can walk up onto the roof. Frankly, I doubt the interior would be of interest to your toddlers. The cafe is nothing special. Standard overpriced cafeteria food. I assume you mean Pink's Hot Dogs? Frankly, I think the food is pretty mediocre.

Parking at the Observatory is limited. There's a decent lot. Most people end up parking on the approach roads. I do this all the time. No, there are no alternative lots.

If you're driving downtown, take Sunset. This is a much more interesting drive than the 101. You'll pass through Los Feliz, Silverlake and Echo Park. Philippe's has it's own free parking. They only take cash. Consider their chili and soups. Everything is very simple. It is my kids' favorite place to eat when we are in LA. The only things on the menu which are lousy are the cookies and the green salads. Here's my review.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32655-d3647…

Chinatown is right next door. You'll probably find that pretty lame. Olvera Street might appeal. Union Station is beautiful architecture, if you like that kind of thing. Since you're driving downtown, I think you ought to drive by Disney Concert Hall. It is just off Sunset at Grand just before Chinatown.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d25…

My general observation is you don't seem to grasp the distances involved within Los Angeles. My concern is you will be surprised by how long it takes to get from one place to another.

My recommendation for something which your kids would enjoy is the Natural History Museum south of downtown adjacent to the USC campus. My kids have always loved this place and are still eager to visit again.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

Post your Orange County itinerary in the Anaheim forum. You'll get more feedback on that aspect there.

HTH

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,418 posts
5,634 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

- 1300 On the road to Anaheim. Stopover at Knotts Berry Farm if required (Any idea how long the journey for that time on Monday?)

It will take about an hour (if traffic accident 90 minutes).

Since you are going to the Knotts Chicken Dinner lunch on Friday, I would probably give Knotts Berry Farm itself a "no go"., You only have two hours and it is more like a 6 to 8 hour park. I would probably just do Disneyland and Caliornia Adventure which your three year old and 11 month old would be easier to take to Disneyland.

The roller coasters and such at Knotts can wait till they grow up a bit.

There is some kid rides but I would just savor the Disney experience fully.

Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

HitchKennedy, the plans are flexible so if its too tiring for the kids we can always cut things out - easier to cut when the prog is a bit fuller :) i decide to hit santa monica first bcos its nearer to the airport and lotsa space for the babes to run about. Plus i hear there's a few playgrounds so i thot a wake-up activity of sorts will help to shake off the jetlag a little until the day end at 8ish. I m staying in hollywood bcos i hv good rates w IHG n the holiday inn express has some big rooms w little breakfast. Noted the comment abt OFM - i cld move rodeo dr first thing n do lunch at OFM. The railroad i m talking abt is not at travel town but clustered together w the merry-go-round n pony rides at crystal drive. Thot to do something fun for the kids since morning is for dad. My main aim to GO is for dd to see the stars - any idea if they'll come out later cos its summer?

Mini, we dun intend to visit Knotts Berry Farm per se. More like just a stop to stretch our feet, visit the shops outside and let the kids feed the ducks Redlands has highlighted in several postings.

Anyone has a suggestion for stopover enroute to Desert Hills??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

If you're stopping by Redlands, get some ice cream made fresh with liquid nitrogen at a la minute.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32953-d27…

Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

Meovu, i was referring to RedlandsRedheads, one of the experts in Anaheim forum :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

Well it's on the way to that desert shopping mall if you get too hot :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

It is? Cool (literally :p) thanks for the tip!!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

Regarding stopping in Redlands:

If you would like a suggestion on a park in Redlands to have the kids (and adults) stretch their legs, go to where the Redlands Bowl is downtown, it is called Smiley Park, or you can just go to the little park between the A.K. Smiley Library and the Lincoln Shrine - right across from the Redlands Bowl. Exit the 10 freeway where you see the sign for Downtown Redlands. Turn right, drive past the movie theater, keep going and you will see it.

About 10 miles to the east of Redlands is Yucaipa, where I live. If you want a little side trip, take the 0ak Glen exit off of the 10 freeway and keep on Oak Glen Road til you get up into farmland going up a hill. You will be going up to the apple farming community of Oak Glen. There are little shops and a few little restaurants. Law's Coffee Shop has good sandwichs and apple pie. Oak Glen Village has a small petting zoo and some deer (fenced in).. Up the hill further is Los Rios Rancho, which has a huge lawn and a great view. Really the most spacious area up there. (Good restroom stop too, just park restrooms, nothing fancy.). If you keep going, you will go down the hill on the other side and end up in Cherry Valley, the Beaumont where you can get back on the 10 freeway east to your outlet mall destination. If you don't go through Cherry Valley, you back track all the way through Yucaipa to get back to the freeway.

I would highly recommend Law's in Oak Glen for lunch and apple pie!

Edited: 08 April 2014, 13:31
Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

Hi Redlands, how far would you estimate Redlands to be from Anaheim? Just nice midway? Or closer to either end, like how Buena is not that far fr Anaheim? Trying to break the journey somewhere in the middle so the babes wont feel the distance. They can sit an hour at any one time hence i m confident of doing the trip. Just need to time the break :)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finally my itinerary is out! Feedback please!

Your journey from Anaheim to Desert Hills Premium will take about 2 hours more or less depending on traffic. You chose a pretty good time to leave. The 91 freeway gets a lot of traffic on weekdays, but not so bad at 9 or 9:30. When you reach downtown Riverside area, that is where a lot more traffic will come into play through that area.

Redlands is a little more than half way there. Downtown is very close to the freeway.

Oak Glen is further because you need to drive up the hill. Yucaipa and the freeway exit to go up there is only about another 15 minute drive from Redlands, but going up to Oak Glen will take another 20 minutes or so from there.

The only other stop along the way I usually recommend is in Riverside at the historic Riverside Mission Inn, which is before you get the Redlands but is something more for adults and older children, except at Christmastime.

http://www.missioninn.com

If you would like to stop for something to eat on the way back, Redlands has the Gournet Pizza Shoppe on East State Street in downtown Redlands.

gourmetpizzas.com/zgrid/…index.jsp

There is a Baker's Burgers right off the freeway at Yucaipa Blvd. exit. Yummy burgers and other things. Indoor and outdoor tables. The outdoor tables are in a pretty nice location at this one. Bakers has been around since 1952, with many locations in the "Inland Empire".

Edited: 09 April 2014, 06:53