We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in LA - what to do?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights in LA - what to do?

Hi,

My partner and I are coming to LA for 6 nights - Nov 18-24 - and are wondering how to spend our time. We are spending some nights either side of this in Vegas as this is where we are flying in to.

We would like to go to Disney for 2 days so was wondering if its worth staying in Anaheim for the first 2 nights (as its midweek and we figured it would be a bit quieter at Disney) and then spending 4 nights in LA.

We are looking to stay at the Hilton Universal hotel as we want to go to Universal too.

Any tips for itineraries would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tracey :)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,029 posts
6,064 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

Disneyland and California adventure takes about 2 1/2 days to 3 to do - but you can do less rides and do it in 2. Due to work traffic, etc. and the long days in the park its best to stay in Anaheim. Since you won't be spending much time in your room, get a hotel that you are comfortable to sleep at - but you probably won't be spending much time at it other than that.

I have stayed at the Hilton Universal and no - I would not do it again. You are fairly isolated there - and even though its close to the park, its not convenient on the other days of your stay. Best to stay in Hollywood - several budget friendly to nicer hotels in the area. You can then take Metro from Hollywood and HIghland Center to the next station and get a convenient shuttle that will take you to the park. That way when you return in the evening you can still explore Hollywood and have more things to do.

There are excellent top questions on the Los Angeles forum. You can find them on the right hand side of the page on non mobile electronic devices. They will give you lots of ideas of what to do in the area and the group of Destination experts have done a great job of giving you various things to do.

Its also helpful to let us know what you enjoy doing. Many like to go shopping such as at the Grove and then wander through Farmers Market, explore West Hollywood and downtown, and go to Santa Monica and 3rd street promenade area for restaurants and night life.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

Thanks for coming back to me - I think we will look to spend 2 nights at Anaheim and then come to LA. Its great to talk to someone who has stayed at the Hilton Universal - now to find somewhere else to stay!

We are looking to do the touristy stuff (perhaps take a bus tour to get our bearings) but I would like to look round the shops, go for some drinks and possibly do some beach walks.

My partner has been to LA before for 2 days and stayed at what is now the Leows Hotel but obv we want to stay somewhere different.

I will have a look at the sidebar as you suggested - its just knowing where to start!

Thanks again

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

First, are you planning to rent a car? That really impacts where you can stay and still have convenient access to public transportation.

I would suggest staying in Anaheim for the days you are going to Disney, and then somewhere else more central in LA for the remainder of the time. Where that is exactly would depend a bit on car and budget. Santa Monica has what you described (beach, lots of shopping, tour bus access, etc.) but is a pricey area for hotels.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

It helps if you post your city/country of residence with your screen name as that will help us to communicate with you the most effectively. If you need help submitting this info, just ask!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,465 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

Unless you have children along, it shouldn't take two adults more than 2 days to visit Disneyland; your plan of 2 nights in Anaheim should work well.

It is easy to get to Universal Studios via public transit from Hollywood or Downtown LA if you prefer to stay in the city. I'm glad mini shared her experience of staying at the hotel you chose; we would have told you the same, but it's better from someone who's done it!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

I disagree, many Adults without kids take 3 days to do the Disneyland Resort (Disneyland and California Adventure), and you could add Knott's Berry Farm for a day.

I have also stayed at the Hilton Universal many years ago, the location isn't bad, especially for Universal Studios and Universal CityWalk. A bit of a walk would take you to a LA Metro Subway station, and with a car, not a bad location. That said, I would pick a Hotel near the corner of Hollywood and Highland and use the LA Metro to get to Universal for a day.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

Adding to Dark's remarks, there are visitors from Australia and New Zealand who buy 10-day passes to DL and Disney's California Adventure, spend their entire time staying in Anaheim and take a 1-day bus tour of Los Angeles during their long visit to California. When I first heard of this, I couldn't believe it. But, 'different strokes for different folks'.

Bottom line: visit the theme parks for as many days as you please. There are no rules and I, for one, run my life the way I choose without concern for what most people or "many adults" do, No matter how many days you visit the theme parks, you will enjoy yourself. It is extremely rare that we see a posting from someone complaining about this.

Los Angeles is extremely spread out. First, decide upon your itinerary; then, select a neighborhood that's convenient for this itinerary; then select a hotel. There are a lot of resources at the top and on the right side of this page (if you're accessing the full site for Trip Advisor rather than the Mobile site). Use these resources to help you frame your plans. If you can't see the links above and to the right, here are shortcuts to them:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k506308…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-Activitie…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,062 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

Tracey T,

Its a good idea as suggested to stay near Disneyland for a multiple day visit. Its about a 1 hour drive South of the LA.

You can post in the Anaheim forum, and well be happy to help you find somewhere to stay, and plan that part of your trip. Its helpful if you can include a budget per night you are wanting to spend on a place to stay. As well as what kind of accomodations you are looking for such as a nicer Hotel, or standard Motel in close walking distance to Disneyland in your post. Heres the Anaheim forum for you to post in.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29092-i65-Anaheim…

Part of your dates are going to be pretty busy at Disneyland since alot of Schools take off for Thanksgiving week which is on Nov 27th for 2014. So I would suggest not visiting Disneyland after Nov 21st for your dates as it will just get busier at Disneyland.

You may want to consider visiting Disneyland first for your visit.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies - we will definitely do Anaheim first as my partner have friends in LA that he wants to catch up with and this will tie in with us being in LA for a weekend.

We have bought a travel guide so when that arrives we will read through it and try to get a list of what we want to do then see about hotels.

I will obviously use TA to help plan too - the reviews are invaluable!

Thanks again everyone :)

10. Re: 6 nights in LA - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:16