We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europ car hire from LAX

Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Europ car hire from LAX

Has anyone hired a car from europ car rental at LAX airport? If so, what are your reviews?

They are the cheapest by far, they say they are joined with advantage ??

Thank you

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europ car hire from LAX

Two thoughts, my first red flag is that they are the cheapest by far. The car rental business is ultra competitive and if one company is much cheaper than all the others it says they are cutting corners someplace. The second red flag is they are associated with Advantage.

There is an old saying, "If you want quality oats you have to pay a fair price, if you are happy with the oats after they've gone through the horse, you can get a discount."

Nothing can make a vacation head south faster than a bad car rental.

I'd look at RentalCars.com and then only get a car from the U.S. majors, Hertz, Avis, National, Enterprise and maybe Alamo. I'd avoid Fox, Advantage, Economy, etc.

http://www.rentalcars.com/

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europ car hire from LAX

Where are you from Kayla? Are you looking for a one way rental?

Visitors from outside of the US are not usually charged the drop off fee on one way rentals.

This may account for the difference in price since you are looking at Europcar. I do agree that you should use the major brands listed above.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europ car hire from LAX

Two bits of folk wisdom apply to the car rental business:

a) you get what you pay for

b) if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

The many horror stories over the years posted on this forum about the non-major car rental companies at LAX would give you many second thoughts about renting from one of them if you went through and read some of them.

Add to that the fact that its basically only the major car companies that can pick you up at the LAX terminals, and right off the bat the major companies have a big advantage in terms of convenience. The non-major companies are not authorized to pick up / drop off customers at the terminals, so if you use one of them you have to take a free airport bus to parking lot "C" and then your rental company will pick you up there. An unwanted extra step when you've just arrived and are anxious to be on your way to your destination.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europ car hire from LAX

Europcar is fine, they have been in business for many many years, just not in the USA. I did not know that they were related to Advantage, in the past they were partners with National Car Rental which is fine. Things change all the time in the rental car business so maybe you are correct.

5. Re: Europ car hire from LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:16