We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best LA steakhouse??

Level Contributor
10 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Best LA steakhouse??

Any recommendations for the best steakhouse in LA? I'm graduating in a month and looking for somewhere special to celebrate with my family. The most important factors for me are the quality of the food and the atmosphere. Price is not an issue. I've seen a lot about STK, Boa, and Mastro's but wasn't sure which of the three was best. I'm also open to other suggestions for steakhouses, a lot of the threads on this topic are a few years old. Thanks!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

I don't think there's a clear cut answer - people's opinions will vary but I think Wolfgang Puck's CUT Steakhouse in the Beverly Wilshire hotel would top a lot of people's lists. Beyond the places that you mentioned, there's also places like Wolfgang's (not to be confused with CUT that I mentioned above), Nic & Stef's in downtown, and then some of the chain places that are also good - Flemming's, Ruth's Cris, Arnie Mortons, etc. I'd also consider Fogo De Chao in Beverly Hills, which is an all-you-can eat extravaganza with a fantastic salad bar and numerous cuts of meat - mostly beef but also lamb, chicken, etc. In any case, you might want to ask this over at the Los Angeles forum at www.chowhound.com for more answers.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

Most of the places mentioned in MachThree's post such as Flemings, etc are chains.

I think I would go with one of your first instincts instead, or if you want old-school there is Taylors in Koreatown.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

I think CUT is the consensus best steak in LA.

My other favorites are Taylor's in Koreatown, Pacific Dining Car in Downtown and Musso & Frank in Hollywood.

While I like all the places that MachThree mention, especially Nic & Stef's, which is probably the steakhouse I eat at the most at, I think the other three I mentioned are all great because they are unique and old school LA. CUT is not old school LA, just a cut (ouch!) above.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

Of the chain restaurants I have only eaten at Flemmings in Manhattan Beach, found it loud and very pricey.

Far prefer the local steakhouses that do not charge you $6 for a baked potato but include it in the price. In the South Bay area I liked the Bull Pen, which includes soup or salad and baked potato or other starches. They have a great piano bar. Is it the best? No, but it is lots more affordable for someone like me who is retired and living on a fixed income.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,323 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

I'd say Cut.

Level Contributor
10 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I went to CUT and absolutely loved it :)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,222 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

I don't get it:

STK is a chain. There are locations in New York, Miami, Las Vegas, Atlanta and London.

BOA is a chain, albeit a small one with locations in West Hollywood and Santa Monica. But BOA is owned by IDG (Innovative Dining Group) which owns a handful of chain restaurants like Sushi Roku with 5 locations, and 4 other 'restaurant brands'.

Business Week defines Maestro's like this: "Mastro`s Restaurants LLC operates a chain of restaurants. The company operates a collection of steakhouses and sumptuous fish houses."

So, it looks like even the restaurants that don't seem like they're chains are chains after all. Besides, why is 'being a chain' necessarily bad? Cartier and Tiffany & Co are chains. Does that mean we should avoid them?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

I agree with HSJ, I don't get why some Foodies have such a hate for Chain Restaurants. As mentioned, more and more chains are hiding the fact they are part of chains by using different names, but the same management. There is nothing new, I worked for a chain that started in the 70's that used a different name for each location (mainly near college locations and close to airports that Western Airlines served, as the ownerships was Western Airline Pilots). But if you knew the menu and the graphic artists we used (based in Santa Monica), you could clearly tell that we were part of the same group.

Many chains start with a single location that becomes so popular and gets so many positive reviews, they opt to open additional locations to be able to serve the demand the diners want. Also, with a chain, you usually know what you will get, not just in regards to the menu items, but also to cleanliness and safety standards.

I dine at a variety of restaurants, some are local, or maybe a chain of two (there is a local Italian Deli like that near home, Cortina's), a regional chain like In-n-Out, Ruby's, or an international one like Dave & Busters.

And then you mention In-n-Out, and then folks mention other chains like Five Guys as a Foodie destination.

So it is worth it to visit a true independent location, I would say yes if you get good, trusted reviews and check the Health standings with the local County inspection group. But I also wouldn't avoid a chain like Wolfgang Puck's or Gordon Ramsey's.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

The OP has already been to CUT.

Personally I prefer to support the independent chef restaurants, although they are getting harder to find especially with something as conventional as a steakhouse. I guess it isn't that hard to cook a steak to the request temp and pour some dressing over a wedge salad.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 18:43
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
54 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best LA steakhouse??

I tried Mastro's in BH last year. Very good but over rated. I popped for the imported true Japanese kobe filet and it actually had a rotten taste to it. (didn't finish it) Tab was north of $650 for 4 people (with one drink a person) so be prepared!