We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood or Downtown LA

Paisley, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Hollywood or Downtown LA

Hi!

I am coming to LA for the first time in Jan for a month with a friend. We want to be central so we were looking at downtown LA but we love the idea of staying in Hollywood. We love going out to nice restuarants, pubs, clubs, and ofcorse sightseeing. We just wanna have a fun time on our trip.

Can anyone compare these 2 places and give us some help in choosing where to stay?

Thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=Hollywood+or+Downtown&scope=2&ff=61&geo=32655&returnTo=__2F__ShowTopic__2D__g32655__2D__i61__2D__k7386261__2D__Hollywood__5F__or__5F__Downtown__5F__LA__2D__Los__5F__Angeles__5F__California__2E__html

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

I would choose between West Hollywood and Santa Monica, given what you want to do

Paisley, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

Thanks for your reply.

Is that because there are a better choice of bars and restuarants in those areas?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,779 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

Here's a map of the L.A. metro area's major neighborhoods:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

As you can see, our DOWNTOWN is at the 3 o'clock position

Hollywood is more central and is a little bit northeast of the center.

Beverly Hills is the most central area.

You've stated that you like:

nice restuarants, pubs, clubs, and sightseeing.

All of the neighborhoods on the map have nice restaurants and pubs (we call them bars, here, mate).

As far as 'clubs' are concerned, that depends on what you mean, exactly:

We have 'live music venues' and we have dance clubs. The dance clubs are concentrated in downtown L.A. and Hollywood. The live music venues are spread out with some in Downtown, Hollywood, West Hollywood (highest concentration, here) and Santa Monica.

Sightseeing is possible from any of these neighborhoods. You haven't told us much in the way of specifics, though. Will you have a car? What attractions are you focusing on? A month is a long time so it's reasonable to split your stay into several parts: Stay a week in Santa Monica, a week in Hollywood, etc (or 2 weeks in each of these).

Visitors to L.A. tend to stray outside of the city of L.A. -- even the county of L.A. For example, lots of people visit Disneyland. If you plan to do the same, I would suggest staying in the city of Anaheim whilst you do that. With a month to spend, you can venture even further afield: to San Diego, San Francisco, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, etc, etc. etc

L.A., like London is very spread out. Please tell us more about your plans.

Paisley, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

We are two girls who just wanted to go on a long holiday for a break and have always wanted to go to america. We dont have any major plans like we dont really care about disney land although we may go there for one day/night. We will do all the usual things like visit the walk of fame, rodeo drive etc. we like dance clubs but also like live music so i am happy to hear there are plenty of both x

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

I suggested those two areas because that's where all the bars, restaurants, nightlife, are. Downtown, too, but I wouldn't recommend basing yourself there. Hollywood is filled with tourists, not at all nice.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,779 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

As someone who lives near Hollywood (I live in West Hollywood), I can tell you that there are plenty of people in Hollywood that aren't tourists. Add to that, the Sunset Strip (which is often touted as 'better' than Hollywood) is truly 'tourist central': The Sunset Strip area is one hotel tower after another. Those aren't 'local people' staying in those hotels!

As far as the 'usual touristy things', I'd recommend you do some research about our metro area. The Walk of Fame and Rodeo Drive take about an hour each. Then what? If I said: "I'll be holidaying in London for a month, seeing the usual touristy things, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben...". What would you think?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,775 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

I agree -- WH or SM -- are the places for you ladies. Since you are new to the area, SM is the easiest for first-time visitors.

9. Re: Hollywood or Downtown LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 05:16