We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

Hi all,

My fiance and I have two days in LA for some sightseeing at the end of our California road trip before flying on to Fiji. We are staying in a hotel in Beverly Hills near Rodeo Drive and will have a car already but we are wondering if it's easier/cheaper to keep the car for those two days and drop it off at the airport, or return it early and use public transport for the sightseeing?

Coming from London where a car would be the last thing you would use for sightseeing, we weren't sure though!

Any advice much appreciated! :)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

Suggest to keep the car Public transport is not great for moving around except for certain areas.

Northwest England
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

I agree. Being a Brit I was of the same mind - "a car to see a large city is a bad idea". However after spending hours on public transport on Day 1, we decided to rent a car. Everything is too spaced out to not have one. Saying that - I haven't used the car in working day traffic so fingers crossed I'm not sat in traffic all day!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

Keep the car. Avoid driving work commute hours in the morning between 7 and 9 am and 4 to 7 PM. You'll see a lot more in your two days in LA.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

With only two days in LA keep the car to maximize your time rather than waiting around on buses, having to make bus changes, etc. Just try and avoid rush hour as stated.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

With limited time, keep the car. Start working on your itinerary.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

As we suspected, general consensus is to keep the car! Many thanks all! :)

7. Re: Quick advice - car or no car for LA sightseeing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16