We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles 3 nights

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Los Angeles 3 nights

Hi,

During my road trip I will be staying in LA with my boyfriend (both late twenties) for four nights.

We will be staying at the Coral Sands Motel near Hollywood (July 3 to July 6)

Thus far Hollywood (Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater) and Venice Beach are on my to do list.

Any suggestions would be welcome (other must see sights, transportation, restaurants). We don't plan to visit the theme parks or any shows or spend much time shopping.

We made reservations at the hotel, but I can change these, so please let me know if you think it's better to stay in another area or switch between hotels.

Thank you in advance!!

Looking for some suggestions to make our stay memorable.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

Will you have a car? What is your nightly budget? Generally, it is better to select your hotel based on these factors and your itinerary.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 16:08
Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

Hi.

Yes we have a car. We are looking for a buget stay. The current hotel reservation is 90 usd a night.

We would be willing to pay a bit more 100/110 a night.

We are not really looking for another hotel (unless you would suggest a better area/accomodation). But are looking for a plan to 'discover' LA.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

It depends a bit on your interests but for sure I would suggest the Griffith Observatory one evening (if its a clear evening, it would be a great vantage point to see fireworks all over town on July 4th). Other sights to consider would include The Getty Center and/or The Getty Villa (www.getty.edu for both), Santa Monica, perhaps take in a sporting event (the Angels - angels.mlb.com - who are one of our two local professional baseball teams, have some games during the time you are here, though they play about an hour's drive south of LA), and, even though you don't want to see any shows, you might want to reconsider and go to the concert at the Hollywood Bowl on July 4 (or July 3rd, they are showing the same concert that night as well, I believe) which is a really quintessential LA experience.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,537 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

You might look at our sample itineraries in the TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page. Here's a shortcut:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c172212/Los-An…

Here's a list of 300+ attractions:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-Activitie…

I'm not a big fan of the concept of 'must sees' in Los Angeles. Our metro area is IMMENSE and there are hundreds of attractions. What you see has a lot to do with the TYPES of things that interest you.

Have a look at these (above) references and see if anything looks interesting. Put together an itinerary and we'll tell you where to stay and how to get around.

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

Thank you for the suggestions. I know that there are summaries of sites. But it is soooo much. Difficult to choose and little time to do it all....

The baseball tip is great. As for the fireworks tip and the hollywood bowl. Also thank you for the tip to drive to Venice Beach.

I'll re-check the information about sites and events and will come back to you. It would be great if you could provide me with some suggestions as to what fits together in a day and how to get there.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

Nothing wrong with Coral Sands in Hollywood. It's a budget friendly, fairly basic motel in Hollywood, fairly central to many attractions, and also easy access without a car should you decide to not use it all the time. It gets decent reviews here on TA as well. With your budget and what you've planned so far, I'd stick with that hotel.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 23:56
Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

I would suggest changing motels.

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

@Santafe23

Why would you suggest changing motels? And what would be an alternative?

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

Not sure about that but whether Coral Sands is a good choice depends on what you decide for the rest of your itinerary. If it involves more on the west side than just Venice Beach, Coral may not be such a great idea. Walk of Fame/theatres only takes a couple of hours to check out, and then what? Plus July is very hot and smoggy in Hollywood, but perhaps you are on a strict budget. Hollywood is good for the metro (underground) but we don't know a lot about your plans yet and metro doesn't go west very conveniently.

www.discoverlosangeles.com

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Angeles 3 nights

I'd suggest checking places like SeaView Hotel on Ocean Avenue, SeaShore Motel on Main Street, Rest Haven Motel on Grant Street (all in Santa Monica) ... And there are plenty of others ... Lincoln Blvd. in Santa Monica has a few motels ... HitchKennedy has previously posted an inexpensive motel on the Westside that he likes.

Being that you have a car I see no reason to stay in Hollywood ... Especially in the summer when it will be hot ... I especially don't like East Hollywood (East of the 101 Freeway).