We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

I'm in LA from May 3 to 8, 2014 and want to make best use of my time.

I intend not sleeping!

I'm in to food, coffee, celebrity spotting, architecture, extreme rides (theme parks), futuristic stuff, plus any cool stuff that we just don't get access to in Australia.

All ideas welcome. Go!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Look on the right side of this page: Top questions about Los Angeles. Chuck.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

From another thread it appears you are staying in Anaheim without a car, which is where Disneyland Resort is as well as near Knott's Berry Farm (which does have some thrill rides), but is not in LA. Anaheim is a county to the south of Los Angeles County (Orange County) and is far away from the city of Los Angeles. First decide if you want to stay in Anaheim or not. It may not be what you are looking for.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 04:26
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Do you already have lodging reserved?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Are you indeed staying in Anaheim? Will you have a car? Note that if you want to see LA, Anaheim is far from the central parts of LA where most of the tourist attractions associated with LA are located, so its not really a good place to stay for a Los Angeles vacation. It is good to stay there for the days you are going to Disney or Knott's Berry Farm, but for most other purposes you'd want to move hotels to somewhere more centrally located in LA.

Thrill rides = Six Flags Magic Mountain, where there are over 15 full sized roller coasters, but its 30-45 minutes north of LA by car (whereas anaheim where you are apparently staying is 45-60 minutes south of LA by car)

Architecture: there is so much to chose from but some iconic things include The Getty Center museum, the Disney Concert Hall, the Gamble House. the Hollyhock House,Griffith Observatory, but that's just a short selection from what is an extensive list. Since you like futuristic stuff one of the most futuristic buildings around is the "theme building" at LAX, which since you are comming from Australia you will be flying to LAX and so you will get a chance to see at the airport - it looks something like a flying saucer.

Celebrity Spotting - that's something that's really hit and miss. You can go somewhere that celebrities are often seen at, but end up seeing no one. A better way to do it is to attend the taping of a TV show where there's sure to be one or two celebrity guests and so you are guaranteed to see one, such as a taping of Jimmy Kimmel's show in Hollywood.

Coffee - again, lots of places to chose from. Intelligentsia would be one suggestion, they have locations in Silverlake, Pasadena and Venice.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Get a car.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,011 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Or transfer to LA for the time you wish to spend here. That will ABSOLUTELY make the best use of your time in LA!

For architecture, downtown LA and Pasadena are great.

Celebrity sightings - see the Top Questions, as MachThree suggests.

Extreme rides - Magic Mountain (you'll need a car to get there).

Cool stuff - like funky Venice Beach? Ethnic neighborhoods like Koreatown? Gathering places like The Original Farmers Market/Grove, 3rd. St. Promenade, CityWalk?

Food and coffee - nearly everwhere!

I love your attitude and it's one I share when I travel - sleep when you get home!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Spend all day at Country Mart in Malibu and you'll likely eventually see a celebrity (google "celebrities without make-up" GIS before going, or you might not recognize 'em).

Guitar Center on Sunset is where we last saw a celebrity (have happy pictures of daughter and niece hugging Stevie Wonder; probably not a daily event - but if you know your musicians well, you might be rewarded).

Futuristic? I dunno. Citywalk thinks it is (with its virtual bowling; many visitors think so too, but no extreme rides to be seen there).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Thanks so much for this geography lesson.

Most appreciated.

I am actually doing business in Anaheim so I need to stay there.

So I guess my next question is what should I do to make best use of my time in Anaheim!?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Yes thanks.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making absolutely best use of my time in LA.

Try posting this question in the Anaheim forum.