We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

Hi all,

From New Zealand, and have 4 days booked in LA at the end of a 2 1/2 week trip to the USA. 3 adults on the trip, so avoiding disney as some have done it before and its really for young children.

Fly from Vegas on Wednesday 27 Aug, arriving in LAX 8.30am

Thinking hiring a car from the airport would be a good idea - drop bags off at our hotel (Magic Castle Hotel booked as reviews are amazing!)

Then thinking Universal Studios and Knotts Berry farm that day/night

Thursday 28th thinking Six Flags, Magic Mountain and hoping to try for the Magic Castle 8ish dinner (anyone been, is it good?)

Friday 29th (Labor Day) wanting opinions here - We were thinking to do outlet shopping in Portland earlier in the trip for the lack of tax, but we worked out this is the start of Labor weekend, would sales at Citadel outlet be worth waiting for, and how crazy would the place be?

So depending on the answer above - either Warner Bros tour in the morning then Citadel and maybe Santa Monica Pier at night?

Leaving us Saturday to do nothing in particular, before our flights home to NZ at 10pm. Maybe do a drive along the coast, but any great ideas for this day would be appreciated - not sure how hectic LA gets over Labor weekend?

Thanks all in advance for any advice you have :)

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

I find myself exhausted looking at your itinerary. I gather you are unaware of the distances involved. I am also puzzled because you are asking for advice about LA. Yet, I see nothing on your itinerary that suggests you are actually interested in the city itself. Frankly, I think you'll be exhausted by your final day.

I've never found the Citadel worthwhile. But, foreigners seem easily impressed. I hope you are renting a car.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

We went to Citadel last trip which is why were thinking there again, just wanting an outlet with all the usual brands.

Yeah, sorry about that - outside of America I am pretty sure most people just assume the Orange County area around LA is just LA.

Looked at driving times on google maps thinking they would be accurate?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,840 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

Knott's Berry Farm is in Anaheim, near Disneyland. You can't do that and Universal. I'd skip Knott's because you're already doing Universal and Magic Mountain.

The outlet malls should be crazy busy. Labor Day is the start of the school season, so there should be plenty of families getting back to school clothing.

You know you are going to be here during our most glorious weather, but you'll be standing in lines at amusement parks under the sprayers to keep cool. It wouldn't be my way of ending a big trip, but it is your 4 days!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,387 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

I'd do Knott's, not a big fan of Universal and besides they mention possibly visiting Warner Bros.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

I just got back from a week in LA. We stayed downtown for part of our trip and the drive times varied wildly. On different days we drove to the beaches, Orange County, and Griffith Park and there was some part of each trip that involved stop & go traffic on the freeways. I couldn't decode when or why the different freeways were crowded, but locals may be able to give you more tips there. A few unique-to-LA highlights from our trip that I didn't see on your list were:

* Getty museums. We went to the Villa, and you might want to consider it or the other one even if you don't consider yourself a fan of museums. They're free, and the grounds at the Villa are amazing. Even if you cruise through the museum part, you still get exposure to some pretty fascinating history (they have a real Egyptian mummy at the villa!). I've heard the other one has similarly amazing grounds (and you'll be a lot closer to the other one at the Magic Castle Hotel).

* Griffith Observatory at night. Even if you don't care about astronomy, the view of the city at night is worth a trip.

* Spending more time on the beach (not just driving along the coast). In addition to playing in the waves (which may not seem that unique coming from NZ), we rented bikes and rode a few miles to a good lunch stop and then rode back. The uniqueness of LA is that the beachside bike trails go forever and every few miles there's a new neighborhood to discover. You could easily switch your days around to do that on the same day as Santa Monica / the pier.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

Just to clarify, Knott's Berry Farm is in Buena Park, which is a city to the west of Anaheim by only about 6 or 7 miles. Orange County is an actual county, administrative district, which has many cities and towns within it (also has an airport in Santa Ana). The city of LA, or Los Angeles, is inside Los Angeles County, which has many cities and towns within it.

I have to disagree with you that Disneyland (which we don't tend to call Disney locally) is for young children. Many adults go there without children. I just had to cancel a planned day trip and my main interests in the park (other than the big rides) were the following: Lunch while listening to dixieland jazz, enjoying the beat of the drumline in the parade, rocking out to the sounds of an Elvis Tribute band, dancing to a swing band, watching fireworks, followed by more swing dancing and a coaster ride in between sets. Plans were to be there from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. or midnight. If I wanted to,I woukd take a break during the day or before dancing for some adult refreshment in Downtown Disney, then return to to the park. I doubt a young child enjoy all that as they would be wiped out at times, bored at others.

But, I can see that if you have been to Disneyland you might like another theme park experience instead. It will be impossible to do both Universal Studios and Knott's Berry Farm in one day, especially in August (even if they were in the same city). So, just choose which one seems more interesting to you all.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 07:38
7. Re: 4 Day LA Itinarary - Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:16