We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

Hi

I have managed to get extra time of work and rather than fly back to the UK from San Fransico we are having 3 days in LA staying at Anahiem (Double Tree Suite) I have a couple of questions regarding our time in LA, the first question is around Universal.

Day 1

Arrive 9am

Baseball in the evening

Day 2

Universal Studios

First question is If I book a tour to Universal including front line pass from Anahiem the average cost is $180 per person that is around $20 more person for the coach return trip. But the bus leaves at 9am and does not return until 7pm. There are four of us traveling, as I want to make the most of our time in LA would I be better to get a cab to Universal from the hotel.

Using the front of line passes we might have be been on all the rides ect by 3pm or maybe 4pm and then get a cab back allowing us to do something else late afternoon early evening?

Day 3

Venice Beach?

Fly home late evening

Many thanks for taking the time to repy

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

Which baseball team are you seeing?

Anaheim is not in Los Angeles, it is in Orange County and a poor place to visit LA from.

For the sights you want to see and for LAX you'd be better off staying in Los Angeles, probably in the Hollywood area, if Universal is a priority.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

We got a deal for the Double Tree Suites so we booked it, so whatever we are doing we will have to use that as our base! Base team is the Angles

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,807 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

Just to make it clear ,staying in Anaheim to visit LA is like staying in Oxford to visit London.

Most folks stay in Anaheim for the part of their trip that includes Disneyland.

Taking a taxi 1 hour or so, north to Universal can also be quite expensive!!

IF you had a hotel in LA you could probably take the metro to Universal.Public transport will take ages soo in your situation if I couldn't change hotels and didn't have a car I'd probably take the tour or skip Universal and just go to Disneyland or Ca.Adventure which will be much closer!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

OK, you are fine, the LA Angels of Anaheim play very near the DoubleTree, so no worries.

As for Universal, what time of the year will you be here? In the summer, even with Front of the Line Passes, it might take over 8 hours to see most of the parks attractions, shows and rides. If you decided to use the Gray Line Tour, did you check out the combo tour that includes a short visit to Hollywood and Downtown LA on the way back from Universal.

graylineanaheim.com/toursAna.cfm/…1021

Another option, do it yourself, take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from the Fullerton Train Station. (Catch the OCTA 543/43 bus that stops in front of your Hotel on Harbor Blvd) to the Fullerton Train Station, take the train to Union Station in Downtown LA, and then catch the LA Metro Red Line Subway to Universal City, and then take the free shuttle to the main entrance area, spend the day at Universal Studios and Universal CityWalk next door. Then depending on the time you are done, you could stop at the Hollywood and Highland Subway Station, spend whatever time you had left, just make sure to catch the last Amtrak that leaves at 10 PM (So leave the area by 9'ish).

On day 3, sounds like you will check out of the Hotel, head to LAX, but what about your luggage? Your choices will be limited, there is no storage at LAX. One option, once again take the Amtrak to Union Station, but use the checked luggage option. Leave the luggage at the station when you arrive, and use the LA Metro system to explore the area, maybe Pasadena, Downtown LA, etc. Then when you need to start to get to the airport, retrieve your luggage, catch the LAX Flyaway bus to the airport, and check in.

http://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train

Hope that helps, have a great trip.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

Great replies thanks so much, maybe day 2 I should catch the grey line extended tour

We are in LA August 2014

Fly from San Francisco at 7am Arrive LAX 9am

On day 3 we fly at 10pm back to Heathrow so I suppose we need to be at the airport at 7pm on the Thursday

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,647 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

After Universal Studios, why not visit Hollywood? Walk of Fame, stars, etc. It will take little time, like an hour. Then go to the Original Farmers Market/Grove. The Grove is a great place for an evening stroll or dinner. The Farmers Market has booths of restaurants (all kinds of food, not just produce) for sale. You buy their goods and sit in a central area. It's easier to drive to Anaheim with no traffic, so doing this will allow you to see some of Los Angeles (where you will not be staying), and get back to the hotel with little traffic headache.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

FYI, the OP is not renting a car, and relying on public transit. And the Gray Line Tour does stop for a short period (like about an hour) as part of the USH Combo Tour.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

Mark B-

With a rental car staying in Anaheim to see sites in LA is doable yet generally not advised. WITHOUT a rental car, as you plan on doing, it is NOT something I would have anyone do. It's doable, yes, but the extra transit time needed to get to what you want to see is a complete waste.

Ok.... So you got some sort of hotel deal? I'm pretty confident that the equivalent deal can be found in a more sensible location.

Dr. Z

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

If I can change the hotel? Can you give me a couple of quick ideas ie areas to help me achieve what I am after

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extened my USA trip by 3 days to include LA - Question

Can you change your hotel? Most reservations can be cancelled without penalty. You are staying in the wrong place to efficiently see LA for only 3 days. It would make much more sense to stay in LA so you are not back tracking for 3 days. If not, you need to contact your airline to see how early you can check your bags. If not early enough, some options are hire a private tour for the day so you can take your bags, take a day room at the www.travelodgelax.com or use the luggage storage company at LAX www.laxluggagestorage.com.