We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

Halifax, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

Hi,

I'm going to be in LA in mid-May and was looking for a hike. I will have a car (and am willing to drive a bit). I'll only have about 4 days for the hike and driving. I was planning on going to Yosemite, but any other suggestions are welcome.

I (we) are somewhat experienced hikers, and like to be hiking about 7hrs a day, so nothing too short! We'd prefer a loop if possible.

Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,332 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

How about climbing Mount Whitney?

LA
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

What time of year?

3. Re: Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 03:46
Edited: 06 October 2014, 03:46
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

Mid-May likely early for Mt. Whitney, though this year has less snow than normal. Not as scenic of a trail by any means, but with great views of the Sierra, would be some trails in the White or Inyo Mountains, across 395, including White Mountain, almost as high as Whitney. May still be too early in the year, but better odds on being clear of snow than Whitney. There are many trails closer to L.A. including in Angeles National Forest. How about Telescope Peak (12,000'+) on the edge of Death Valley? Trails may not be long enough, but backpacking on Santa Cruz Island, in the Channel Islands, would be something completely different (to paraphrase Monty Python).

Edited: 27 April 2014, 19:23
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

Lots of hikes in and near Joshua Tree Natl. Park, as well. A tad closer, might consider Mt. San Gorgonio, tallest mountain in Southern California. I think it's usually done as a day hike, but maybe you could overnight there. Or do Mt. San Jacinto the second day.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 19:52
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,231 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

Are you looking to camp afterwards or head to the nearest motel?

You might look in the Santa Barbara area (nice place to stay/spend the evening).

http://www.santabarbaraca.com/things-to-do/outdoor-recreation/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MI%2BSanta%2BBarbara%2BGeneral&utm_term=+santa%20+barbara%20+Hiking

7. Re: Looking for a multi-day hike (2 days) in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:16