We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
667 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

Wanting to purchase grocery items that we can't get here in NZ - cake mixes, confectionery etc. Also cake decorating items. Have always got these at a Walmart but if another store would work, am prepared to try that. My question is, what's the cheapest to get to via taxi (and any idea of fare?). In the past we have used the tram that picks up from LAX hotels and goes to Santa Monica etc - if it's more cost effective to go from one of those stops, then we will.

Thanks for your input.

los angeles
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

There are no Walmart stores near LAX. There is a Target store at the Westfield Mall in Culver City, about 3-5 miles from LAX. Don't know how much for taxi fare from Crowne Plaza, but should be around 15 USD one way. In addition to Target, there are the usual mall stores at the Westfield Mall, Forever 21, H&M, Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, etc. so you have plenty of shopping opportunities.

If you are going to take a taxi, you'll want to be sure to get phone number from your taxi driver so you can get ride back to hotel. You dont want to be paying taxi to wait for you to finish shopping and LA is not a taxi town, you won't find taxis at the mall waiting to pick you up when you're done shopping.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

As far as I know there's no shuttle from the LAX hotels to Santa Monica, but there is the Ocean Express trolley over to Manhattan Beach - there's a Vons Supermarket in walking distance to the trolley's stop at the Manhattan Beach pier.

I think you should be able to take Culver City Bus #6 most of the way to the Target at the Fox Hills mall, or you could take Metro Bus 117 east on Century Blvd. a few miles to the Target that's located on Century just past Hollywood Park racetrack.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

Vons and Target in Manhattan Beach, via the Ocean Express trolley. Vons has more mixes/ confectionery items, target probably more cake decorating items.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

There is a Walmart and Target near the Del Amo Mall in Torrance, a great place for doing lots of shopping near LAX.

Here is a recent thread talking about it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k738909…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

There is NO Trolley to Manhattan Beach anymore. It was replaced last year by Ocean Express red shuttle buses as pictured on this site. Don't want anyone watching the shuttle go by and missing the connection because they are waiting for a trolley.

gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/…

The Shuttle bus makes 3 stops. First, is Manhattan Ave and 10th Street (they needed more room than at the pier to turn around), next the MB Village Mall in front of Tommy Bahamas, and last, the Plaza El Segundo at Marmalade Cafe, then returns to the hotels and starts the route again. You can purchase your $5 r/t ticket from the front desk of the Crown Plaza Hotel. It's the best deal going for transportation.

You could get off at the MV Mall, and go to CVS Pharmacy or Ralph's Grocery Market next to each other in the parking lot of the Mall, or walk back about 5 blocks on Sepulveda Blvd. to Target.

You will find cake mixes, frostings, sprinkles and decoration kits in all three. Our Target has a big grocery section.

The small Von's in downtown MB is very limited in everything. It's a place we go to buy a quart of milk or bottle of wine without crossing Sepulveda.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

Crowne Plaza LAX to that Walmart via taxi is going to be about $35 each way by taxi - its about twice as far as the nearby Targets. You can get there by taking Torrance Transit bus #8 from the bus plaza in parking lot C on 96th St., a short walk from the Crowne Plaza.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

The Culver City #6 or Rapid #6 bus goes to the Westfield Century City Mall which has a large Target. The #6 makes the trip in 25 minutes and the bus runs every 20 minutes; the Rapid makes the trip in 15 minutes (but you'd have to walk to the bus plaza -- 10 minutes) and makes the trip in 15 minutes; the bus runs every 15 to 20 minutes. Both buses cost just $1 and run from early morning to evening.

Do you know how to INSTANTLY find bus routes?

Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
667 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

Thank you for all the valuable info. HopSkipJump - I have no idea how to find bus routes instantly and would welcome your insight. Thanks for sharing.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

We have a TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page as well as a FAQs section -- the first link at the top of the list of topics (visible only if you're either using a computer or are using a tablet with access to the FULL SITE of Trip Advisor). If all you have is a phone, you can access this content (using any device) here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k506308…

Scroll down and look for the topic titled: "Local Transportation" and click on the link there. Here's a shortcut:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c171690/Los-An…

This content explains our public transit system and shows how you can instantly find routes by entering starting and ending points (plus the day of the week and time of day traveled), This is a lot easier than fussing with schedules and maps and is especially helpful since some routes run on only certain days or during certain hours.

Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
667 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walmart/Target via Taxi from Crowne Plaza LAX

HopSkipJump - appreciate the shortcut which I have used. But when I enter my start point (Crowne Plaza LAX to the Westifeld Century City it comes back as a journey time of between 60-90 minutes.Am I missing something? Is it much quicker for me to walk to a different start point ie bus plaza? Given that the Culver City #6 was a journey time of 25 minutes, that would be fine for us. If you can offer any insight, that would be fab. Cheers!