We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

For an Asian Driver who has no experience in driving in the US, and only rely on the Hertz Neverlost, at 11 pm do you think I can drive from LAX to Downtown without a problem? Will the road be too dark to see?

I wanna to pick up the car next day from downtown but Hertz can only confirm a NeverLost from LAX!! Please advise

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

It should not be a problem - you'd use the freeways to do it and between your headlights, the freeeway's own lighting and the headlights of all the other cars on the freeway, there's plenty of illumination. Thousands of people do this type of trip late at night every day, its not an issue. Even if you take a slower, surface street route to avoid the freeways if they make you uncomfortable, the entire route between LAX and downtown LA is well lit surface streets - its continuous, built up city, you won't ever pass through any undeveloped, hilly or open field areas with no lighting.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 19:10
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

Roads, including freeways, will be quite well lit all night long. If you get lost, it likely won't be due to darkness, unless a street sign on a corner isn't well lit. Of course, exactly where you're going is a factor, since not all streets are equal. Better downtown hotels can charge a lot for parking.

You couldn't find a rental car at Hertz in Union Station or at the downtown Sheraton with GPS? I tried a dummy booking and found vehicles with NeverLost at the downtown Sheraton location (711 Hope St.) but not at Union Station (could be a flaw in Hertz's computer system). Budget car rental has a location at Union Station, and Avis has one in downtown L.A. Smaller selection than at LAX, for sure. Rates may be different at different locations.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 19:15
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

p.s. keep in mind that from LAX you have to take a Hertz shuttle bus to where you'd get your car. I'd print out directions from Google Maps or MapQuest to get from there to wherever you're staying. As noted, some like to avoid freeways, but I find them better lit than some surface streets. If taking freeways, you could go to Interstate 105 and then 110 to downtown, of I-405 to I-10.

If you don't rent at LAX, you could take the FlyAway bus to Union Station and taxi from there to your hotel, or just taxi all the way.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 19:22
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

Last sentence of first paragraph should say "or I-405," not "of I-405."

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

Many thanks Sutter and MachThree

Sutter, we will be staying at LA Live Marriott, do you think it is fine to take a taxi to Sheraton to pick up the car? Thanks for searching other location for me (which I have never thought of - stupid me) . The Hertz Center at LA Live cannot guarantee a NeverLost.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,903 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

Are you saying that you are arriving from Singapore at 11 pm? If so, you'll need to pass through immigration and customs and won't be out of the terminal until after midnight. Then, you'd need to transfer to the Hertz lot (which would involve waiting for their free shuttle which could take a while). If it were me, I'd take a taxi into downtown L.A. (quick and easy -- about $55 'flat rate' including tip). Then hire the car, the next day (won't you be tired?). Besides, the cost of hiring the car that first night and the cost of overnight parking in downtown will be about the same as a taxi so why not make your life easy by taking a taxi to your hotel. That way, you'll be in bed by around 1 a.m.

Our downtown area is best toured 'on foot' or using public transit. Are you planning on driving to some place other than downtown, the next day? As far as the GPS (Neverlost) is concerned, I can't imagine that they would run out of them and even if there weren't one at the location where you got the car, you could either drive over to a nearby location (Hertz has a number of places in our small downtown area) or you could transfer to a different location of Hertz in downtown and get the car (with a GPS) there.

WORST CASE: if there were no GPS-equipped cars in downtown, you could take a 25-minute train ride to Bob Hope Airport in Burbank and pick up a car there.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

Happy - you could easily walk from the LA Live Marriott to the Sheraton - its well under a mile. Certainly you could take a taxi, but not really any need to bother. Worst case, walk to the Pico / Chick Hearn station for the Blue and Expo line light rail trains and take one of these trains one stop to the 7th St. Metro Center. The Sheraton is across the street from there.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

This video takes you from the airport to downtown LA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_GP5jk5Os

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjt7mlLGKu4

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

Thanks Hopskipjump. Your suggested plan is so perfect and we all feel comfortable with. I have therefore booked to pick up the car from the Sheraton.

Machthree, thanks for the direction. We will certainly walk and explore the Neighbourhood to our hotel.

Harold thanks for the video. It doesn't allow me to open in my mobile so I will have a look at home. Although I am taking a cab from LAX to the hotel now, it is good to see the road and how people drive in the States.

I am trying to keep the next day of my arrival light so planning to go to Santa Monica and do some shopping!

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from LAX at 11pm at night!

If your first day is going to be in Santa Monica, you might want to just stay on the airport side of town that first night or two. Much easier than driving to downtown and then backtracking all the way to Santa Monica the next day.