We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

culver city or harbor city

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manassas,Va
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
culver city or harbor city

I will be in la for five days at end of May. My itinerary is to see the following:

Catalina island

ToSanta Monica/Venice beach

Getty

Griffith observatory

Griffith park

Beverly hills/rodeo Dr

Walk of stars

Maybe Joshua tree national park

Attend TV taping at one of the studios

Maybe a side trip to either Disney or San Diego

In your opinion is there an appreciable advantage between staying in either Culver city versus Harbor city for the duration of trip. I have narrowed down to two hotels one in each place, the one in harbor city is acceptable and $25 cheaper but interested in which you think is better as base of operations. I will have a rental car. Thanks

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,058 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: culver city or harbor city

Without knowing specifics, Culver City in general is a better choice. You can be in the dumps and not tourist oriented motel in Harbor City. What motels exactly and what is your per night budget? Folks might suggest better options.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 21:27
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,490 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: culver city or harbor city

There is a reason hotels are so cheap in Harbor City and relatively inexpensive in Culver City.

I'd never recommend Harbor City, it has some very bad parts and there are sections of Culver City I wouldn't recommend.

If you can tell us your budget people may be able to find hotels inexpensively, closer to where the sights you want to see are.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: culver city or harbor city

Between those, Culver City is a more central area and nicer. Harbor City would be a bit closer to Long Beach / San Pedro / Newport Beach which is where you'll find the better options for boats to get to Catalina, a little bit closer to Disney and a little bit closer to San Diego if you decided to go there. Culver City is a lot closer to everything else you listed. That said, in most cases Culver City is not really an optimal base either. If you can share your hotel budget with us per night, we can help you find a good hotel in a better area.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: culver city or harbor city

With a rental car, Culver City is better, but most hotels are located in a very busy, high traffic area with few amenities one can walk to. I like downtown Culver City much better.

What's your budget? Perhaps we can locate a hotel in a nicer area for you.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,028 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: culver city or harbor city

Drop Harbor City from your consideration - it's far, inconvenient, and just plain awful.

I don't think you have enough time for Catalina, it's really an overnight. Also, most TV shows are finished taping for the season at the end of May.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: culver city or harbor city

I don't think there is any reason to stay in Harbor City. If you want to go to Catalina *which is FINE as a day trip, perhaps Long Beach would be better. There are cheap hotels there.

You could split your stay, half in Culver City (look also around Hollywood which is probably just as easy to find a cheap hotel as CC) and then do Catalina and Disney from Long Beach.

Manassas,Va
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: culver city or harbor city

Hello

I'd like to keep at $120 a night or below. The two hotels I was looking at were a Super8 in Culver City and a Rodeway Inn both decently rated by TripAdvisor posters. Thanks for input so far

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,504 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: culver city or harbor city

You have a lot of day trips planned in a 5 day stay. San Diego, Catalina and Joshua Tree all take hours to get there and return, leaving you with a short time to site see.

Culver City is generally better to stay in, closer to most of what you want to visit in Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Getty.

If we knew budget maybe we could help you more.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,028 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: culver city or harbor city

there's a great motel on Wilshire Blvd in Brentwood/West LA that's about $80/night - very clean, great owners, very central -the Wilshire Motel.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: culver city or harbor city

I've actually stayed at that Rodeway Inn. We stayed there for a night before heading to Catalina for a week of camping and I didn't fancy driving up from SD the same day. It was fine for its purpose. My general impression was it was cramped. But, the management was good and it looked like they'd put some money into it recently. But, clearly, it was simply a base. For getting to Catalina and Disneyland, it would work. I like mlgb's idea to split your stay. You don't seem to grasp the distances and the potential traffic involved. I agree with Elle that Catalina isn't really a day trip. Overnight is much better.

I think the idea to travel to Joshua Tree or San Diego for a day trip is not a good idea. The drive to SD is really a bear as you must fight your way through three major metropolitan traffic zones -- LA, OC, SD. Years ago I went to Joshua Tree and we stayed the night. Both JT and SD aren't really day trips. Or rather, they are exhausting day trips.

The Super 8 motel isn't really in Culver City. The location is fine near the 405. I'd recommend the Villa Brasil Motel just down the street. it is another great budget motel. Cute as a button, too.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d657068-…

In Culver City proper, I like the Craftsman House B&B. Great price and downtown Culver City is a couple of blocks away.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32272-d1784957…

These three locations are all good for many of the other items on your itinerary. The Wilshire Motel also looks like another great option.

I notice you don't have any downtown destinations on your itinerary. At minimum, you should consider checking out the Grammy Museum at LA Live. There's tons more to see and do downtown. It doesn't seem to be on your radar.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d17…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d20…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32655-d3647…

HTH