We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

Big thank you for everyone for answering all my previous questions. I just found out that I will need to be back to work on Jun 6, so edited the itinerary to fit everything into a shorter trip. Could you please take a look and give me your sugestions if anything needs to be changed and will there be enought time for all mentioned or can I fit anything else in:

We will arrive to BUR at noon on Monday June 2, take a cab to hotel in Holleywood. Will stay at one of hotels recommended in previous posts in Holleywood. Definetely will not drive. Will use cab everywhere.

Will drop luggage at hotel, eat quickly and go to the Getty Center (3h) then Griffith observatory (3h) . Cab to/from.

Tuesday June 3: Universal Studios, then Citywalk for 1hour, then to see Holleywood Walk of Fame and Sign (1hour).

Wed June 4: Grand Tour of Los Angeles & Movie Stars' Homes with hotel pick-up and drop-off (around 8h)

Thursday June 5: cab or bus to Santa Monica (5h there- boardwalk and swim for a little) whale watching may be

Getty Center? Fly home at 8pm from BUR.

Will there be enough time to see both Getty center and Griffith Observatory on the day of arrival or to see Getty Center after Santa Monica on the day of departure.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

I would put the Observatory after Universal. Citywalk is a shopping mall (you can skip it, trust me).

On the way back from the Getty, you can stop in Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive or at the Grove/Farmers Market. (These are easy to reach by bus or taxi).

Your current plan has you heading west to the Getty Center than heading back to Hollywood and then heading east to Griffith Observatory. You haven't indicated time of day but it's apt to be a lot of traffic. Also keep in mind that you will waste time lining up to ride the tram 'up the hill' and 'down the hill' at the Getty (between the entrance to the grounds and the actual museum).

Don't forget to leave time for meals!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

The Getty and Griffith Observatory are closed on Mondays. So maybe do the Walk of Fame, Hollywood sign and City Walk on your first day. I agree that City Walk is not a must do but an 11 year old will likely love it. Move Griffith to Wed. after your tour. The only time left for The Getty is Thursday. It works OK because at least it is in the same direction as Santa Monica from Hollywood. After a day at Universal I do not feel like doing another major activity but that is me. Citywalk is about all I want to do after a day in the park.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

Go to the Getty in the morning, not in the afternoon, or you'll be dealing with terrible traffic. You could go the same day as Santa Monica.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

Thank you very much for all the replies. Its a bummer that observatory and Getty center closed on mondays. Should we do Santa Monica on Monday afternoon /evening (day of arrival) or is it better on mornings? It will leave more time for Getty center on thursday. Will do Griffith after the tour on wedsday. Will skip Citiwalk

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

is it better to go to Santa Monica on morning or ok on afternoon/evening?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,392 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

Afternoon/evening is fine in SaMo.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

thank you very much!!

8. Re: new itinerary- mom and 11 years old daughter 1st time in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:16