We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Night in LA. Where to stay, what to do?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
1 Night in LA. Where to stay, what to do?

I am travelling to the US from Australia in July and arrive and depart in LA. I only get to spend 1 day in LA on arrival. We arrive at 10:30am and fly to Las Vegas the next evening. I am thinking we will be resting from a long flight on the first day and will just go somewhere nice for dinner. The next day I would like to get a taste of LA and do you usual Hollywood Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, perhaps do an open top celebrity home bus tour or take a trip to Santa Monica beach.

I have 1 more day in LA a few weeks later when we are flying out of the US where we might do universal studios or something.

Any suggested plans for the day to get a good taste of the typical 'touristy' things would be great and also the best area to stay for getting around. Oh and a recommendation for dinner on the first night. Also would it be best to hire a car for the day?

So many questions!

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Hollywood Walk of Fame
13,737 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rodeo Drive
Rodeo Drive
4,532 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Santa Monica State Beach
Santa Monica State Beach
6,065 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Hollywood Sightseeing LA
Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
LA City Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Open Bus Tours
City Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Night in LA. Where to stay, what to do?

I suggest you stay in Hollywood. Whilst there may be nicer places to stay, Hollywood is central and vibrant. You should give us a little more information about your budget, requirements and expectations because there are a lot of options.

Honestly, with the stuff you've already listed you've got your days filled. I wouldn't try and cram too much more in. Enjoy that stuff properly.

I will say that I think you're mad for arriving into Los Angeles at 1030 and planning on resting all day. You'll be tired from your flight but so what? This is your holiday. The first day of your holiday. Make the most of it.

To get around (certainly to all the places you've listed) you really need a car. Public transport is not amazing at the best of times and definitely not when you have a tight schedule. It's going to be boring using up valuable time collecting and returning the car but I think worth it.

I'm going to suggest somewhere for dinner I've not been. Controversial I know! But I've read amazing things about it and will be nailed-on going in June. Bludso's BBQ. Supposedly the flag-bearer of L.A. BBQ.

Two other options I'm going to throw at you are Musso & Frank and In-N-Out Burger.

Musso & Frank is the oldest restaurant in Hollywood. It's steeped in entertainment industry history and is very old-school.

In-N-Out Burger is basic fast food so perhaps not what you're looking for but it'll probably be the best burger you'll ever taste. No-one I know who has tried it hasn't loved it and talked about it forever.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Night in LA. Where to stay, what to do?

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll leave In n Out Burger for Vegas when I'm trying to soak up excessive alcohol. :P I'll check the other place out.

By the time we get to LA we pretty much will have gone 24 hours worth of flying and transit and I cannot sleep on planes. As much as I hope to just keep going on the first day I get there I don't want to plan things that I may miss out on due to crashing! Haha. If we get out and about that day that's a bonus.

So I will defiantly hire a car then. We aren't travelling on a tight budget. This is our first trip to the US so we have saved well. :)

If you could say the top things to pack into a day in LA to get a taste what would you do?

Mentioned in this post
A Day in LA Tours
A Day in LA Tours
3,172 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Night in LA. Where to stay, what to do?

I would say regarding In-N-Out that depending on where you stay in Los Angeles you may find yourself close by to a location. In Las Vegas you will have to make much more effort to find them.

However, as long as you know about In-N-Out and make sure you go at some point on your trip then my job here is done.

You must handle the planning how you see fit but I would be much more inclined to plan the next tier of things to do and if you don't do them it won't matter because you weren't going to anyway. Plan then don't do rather than not plan and be left without a plan.

I think you are on the right track for a one day taster of Los Angeles. Hollywood Blvd, Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive, Celebrity Homes Tour (if you must, it's never appealed to me) and Santa Monica beach and attractions. That's a busy, full day but definitely doable.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 14:27
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Rodeo Drive
Rodeo Drive
4,532 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Santa Monica State Beach
Santa Monica State Beach
6,065 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Night in LA. Where to stay, what to do?

In this situation I would stay in Hollywood near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland ave., and take a tour - probably the Hop-On / Hop-Off tour which can let you see a lot in a relatively short amount of time. They also will bundle the Hop-On / Hop-Off tour with a celebrity homes tour too if you want to do that, though it takes time away from the Hop-On / Hop-Off. www.starlinetours.com

Also consider flying to Vegas from Burbank airport (BUR), if its not too late to change your flight. Burbank is closer to Hollywood than LAX, and is a much smaller airport so quicker to get in and out of. Fares are usually similar to Las Vegas, and the flights are direct.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Burbank
Burbank
California
5. Re: 1 Night in LA. Where to stay, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:17