We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

ottawa
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

Hi. We are a family of 6 with 4 teens...looking for a 2 night stay in LA in Aug at the end of our trip.We have a car and have tickets to the Greek Theater the first night and Hollywood bowl on the second night. We plan to tour downtown LA/Hollywood during the day. Any thoughts on hotel choice of either Magic castle or Farmers Daughter in terms of location etc? (certainly ranked differently on trip advisor!)

They are similar in price.

thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

Your right, quite a difference in reviews. After reading some of them for each hotel, and I do like the replies from the hotel management. I always consider that it is a plus, it shows that management certainly has respect for past guests comments and seems interested in ensuring problems are resolved. I am afraid that I would just flip a coin, I don't think one could go wrong at either property.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

They couldn't be more different. Magic castle means you can walk to the Hollywood bowl and get tot the Greek more easily. It also has a pool.

Farmers Daughter is basically a motel.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

I do not believe that the FD can handle the 6 of you in one room.

If possible, I'd book this one: http://tinyurl.com/kmbenrd

It's a penthouse apartment with a full kitchen and sleeping for 6 (2200 sq ft / 204 sq m). Easy walking distance to Runyon Canyon Park. 2-minute drive to central Hollywood or walk (15 mins?).

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

I've stayed in both hotels.

The Magic Castle is a former apartment building. The units have distinct bedrooms, kitchens and living rooms. So if you want to eat in, that's possible. Bed was comfortable, but the actual room was small. Living room area was very comfortable. In terms of style, it is pretty unremarkable. Management was top-notch. Extremely attentive. I asked for a birthday cake. No problem. It is located on the edge of the Hollywood neighborhood. So you could walk to the Hollywood Bowl. The Greek would be close by (in LA terms). Access to the subway and downtown is easy. There is a fair-sized swimming pool in the middle of the complex. I liked the place. Would I stay there again? Hmm...

I stayed at the Farmer's Daughter about a year ago with some friends from NYC. Yes, the place is a former motel. But, there is this whole schtick they've got going. I liked it. You have a very strong sense of place. The rooms are comfortable and well-designed. But, they are building on a former motel. So there's only so much they can do. There's no way six of you are all getting in the same room. Courtyard is pleasant. Restaurant was fine, if unspectacular. Bit pricey. Swimming pool is tiny and very deep. Massive rubber duckies are a hoot. It is across the street from the Farmer's Market/The Grove. Your teens are sure to love that. You'd have a drive to both the Bowl and the Greek. Perfectly reasonable. Access to downtown is straightforward, but you'd have to drive. Just take Olympic. You can return via Beverly or Third. I liked the place. Looking forward to returning.

Which is better for your purposes? That really depends. Both will serve you well. They are just different.

HTH

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

When you say in intend to tour Hollywood and downtown, what is your plan? Hollywood doesn't take much time. What is your plan for downtown? There's tons to see and do. But, it rewards planning because, like LA, it is spread out. Your teens are likely to enjoy the Grammy Museum and the whole LA Live complex, which I suspect you are completely unfamiliar with.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d17…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d20…

HTH

ottawa
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

To clarify, we plan to get 2 rooms at either hotel. As for our plans for our day, I am doing lots of research but interested in the "fantastic race" tour (sounds fun and great reviews on trip adviser), vs a private LA/hollywood tour with LA tours, vs trying to do it on our own, possibly with the LA city pass and its various discounts on tours etc.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

Just to be clear, Hollywood is a place visitors tour because they think there is something there to see. A couple of hours is tops, unless you have a thing for wax museums. Downtown is arguably the most dynamic part of the city right now. Whether you should visit there is debatable. You really should do some more research to plan your days. With only two days, you have very little time and so much to see.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

I agree with Hitch about Hollywood - with those teens you aren't going clubbing at night and I think you will be completely underwhelmed by it. Unless you have a deep and abiding passion for old movies and a burning desire to see the footprints at Graumans and the stars on the sidewalks you'll be disapointed. The Hollywood Highland complex, which is where everyone parks, is just a small-ish, modern mall. Nothing that you don't have back home

Hollywood Bowel & Greek theater are well worth visiiting, however.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 15:50
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

Hollywood is very underwhelming and downright disappointing. IT will take you about an hour to see. With only two days, you will want to explore the city.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ?magic castle hotel vs Farmers Daughter hotel??

Hollywood "bowl" not "bowel" ! My bad