We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

selection LA hotels

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
selection LA hotels

Hello,

I am planning to go to LA with my sister from May 31 to Jun 5.

We plan to go to universal studio and some places in downtown from May 31 to Jun2, and then head to disneyland from Jun 2 to Jun 5.

I am frustrated in selection a right hotel for us, coz we are two girls and know the danger of LA.

Yes, pls suggest any safe hotel for us in LA airport or downtown area.

and the hotel criteria must have free wifi and not a long distance to go to universal studio by public transportation.

USA
Level Contributor
13,227 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: selection LA hotels

The Hilton Universal City is convenient in terms of it's proximity to Universal, and it's safe. Plus free wifi and very reasonable rates for LA.

Do you have a car?

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: selection LA hotels

I dont have a car.

Therefore I need to take a shuttle to and from airport.

Do you know which shuttle is reliable? primetime? or supershuttle?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,424 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: selection LA hotels

What 'danger of LA' are you speaking of? Los Angeles is one of the safest cities in L.A, Millions of people live here and about half of them are women. You have nothing to worry about when it comes to safety.

What attractions are you visiting in downtown? Did you know that our downtown is not in the center of our city?

There are many airport transfer options which are described in our TOP QUESTIONS BOX. Here is a shortcut to this content:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-s301/Los-Angel…

Edited: 12 May 2014, 03:25
Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: selection LA hotels

Hi Hopskipjump,

Actually, I am not familiar with LA. Just heard some bad news in LA from the website: not stay night in downtown LA., dont go to east hollywood, dont go to skid row area.

virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Unit…

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: selection LA hotels

Again, I would like to go to Hollywood walk of fame..

can you recommend

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,424 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: selection LA hotels

If you look at the comments below the first one in the link you provided, you can see how unusual a posting like that one is.

Here's a map of our metro area which shows where the popular neighborhoods are located:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

As you can see, our downtown is at the 3 o'clock position on the map. Disneyland is 'off the map' at the southeast corner. Hollywood, meanwhile is northeast of downtown and is connected to downtown by the red line metro rail (15 to 20 minute ride; trains run every 12 minutes).

If you'd like to stay in Hollywood, there are lots of hotels, there. Our TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of this page explains how to look up hotels BY NEIGHBORHOOD and how to filter out certain price ranges. You can't see this info with a 'smart phone'.

Here is a shortcut to that content:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c130992/Los-An…

Briefly, here is a list of ALL of the hotels in Los Angeles:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…

You can filter out all of the hotels that are NOT in Hollywood by finding the 'neighborhood' tab (at the bottom of the first screen (or a little bit below it), a little bit to the right of the left margin, click on it and select HOLLYWOOD. Then, you'll only see Hollywood Hotels.

Next, put in your travel dates (about 1/2 way down the first screen) and then click 'change dates'. Then scroll down for a list of Hollywood hotels that are available on those dates. You'll see offers from several online booking agencies. Select the one that is suitable. If you have questions about any of the hotels, just ask. Read the reviews of the hotels from travelers like you to learn about the hotels.

Some of my favorite hotels are:

4-star class: Loews Hollywood Hotel

3-star class: Magic Castle Hotel

2-1/2-star class: Holiday Inn Express

but there are many, many other fine hotels in the neighborhood.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: selection LA hotels

Hi, Wing. That link you posted about LA safety isn't very helpful nor accurate. Frankly, it is very misleading. LA's crime rate is now very low. Compared to the bad old days of the early 90's, it is night and day. Sure, it is a big city. But, you just need to use some street smarts and you'll be fine.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: selection LA hotels

If you would like a good central area and with excellent access to transportation for the areas which you want to visit then I would choose the downtown central area near the Music Center. Have a look at www.expedia.com or www.hotels.com for the hotels listed in this area. Hotels such as the Bonaventure, Biltmore, Omni are in excellent locations. This area has been upgraded and is located near many of the downtown sights plus is located over the Metro which takes you directly to Hollywood and Universal studios.

Also, the downtown train station is there with direct connections to Disneyland and the beaches of Orange County.

The Metro and the trains are very safe;easy to use and of good value. If you want to join some organized tours then they will leave from your hotel.

We take the train quite often from the suburbs of Orange County to this downtown area and truly enjoy the museums, music center and the downtown areas of Los Angeles.

The Flyaway bus with take you directly from LAX to the downtown train terminal or you can book Super Shuttle to take you directly to your hotel.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: selection LA hotels

You might want to start by familiarizing yourself with the Red Line subway (www.metro.net) - this subway runs from Union Station on the eastern edge of downtown LA, west through downtown LA, and then eventually on to Hollywood and to Universal Studios, so if you stay anywhere along this route you'll be able to easily reach both Universal Studios, Hollywood and downtown LA via public transportation. It takes about 30 minutes on the subway from Union Station to Universal Studios. You can also get to anywhere along this route pretty easily from the airport, as the FlyAway bus runs from LAX to Union Station for $8 per person and then you can board the subway there.

http://goo.gl/maps/I0Jzj

In any case, you would not want to stay by the airport. Its a dull area, few restaurants, and public transit links from where most of the hotels are to places like Universal Studios, while possible, are time consuming and inconvenient.

So, that leads us to the next question, what is your hotel budget per night in USD? If the hotel did not have free wi-fi, but the cost of the hotel plus the wi-fi fee was within your budget, would you consider it?

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: selection LA hotels

hi MachThree

Yes, I am looking for a free wifi hotel. But I search many hotel webiste, they all said that there is complimentry wireless internet, is it that mean the wifi is free?

My budget of the hotel is within $250 USD per night.

Yes, I wont consider the hotels nearby airport, as I know it is inconvenience to go to universal or hollywood by transportation.