We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

Can someone give me an idea how long it can take to clear immigration in Los Angeles.

The last time I tried to do this I missed my connecting flight to Toronto. Annoying as I wasn't even staying in the US - just transiting to Canada.

This time I am arriving at 9.45am and I want to book a flight to Minneapolis.

Thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

Try the official site for immigration delays at various US airports http://awt.cbp.gov

Penryn, United...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

varies from hour to hour day to day

last 2 times i have arrived from the UK i have been off the plane and outside waiting for a bus within the hour

Adelaide
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

I would give yourself a minimum of 3- 4 hours until your connecting flight just in case your flight is delayed arriving, or the terminal your departing from is the other side of the airport.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

I would give yourself a minimum of 3 -4 hours between connecting flights, just on case your flight is delayed in arriving, or immigration is backed up, or the terminal your connecting flight is leaving from is the other side of the airport.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

How long was the layover last time ?

4 -5 hours is minimum. Now folks advice one ticket from home to your final destination so your bags are transferred after customs and if there are delays there are NO penalties to take a later flight

3 hours is minimum but with separate tickets the longer the better

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

Agree, 3 hours should be considered the absolute minimum. If your inbound flight is delayed, however, and you booked flights on separate tickets, 3 hours might not be enough.

7. Re: Clearing Immigration in Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:16