We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles with 14 year old son

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles with 14 year old son

My teenage son and I will be visiting LA this weekend for a quick weekend trip, while his dad is at a conference. It's just the two of us taking on the big city. We will have a car, but little time. He's an active, athletic boy who loves a fun time with lots of activity. I'd love to be in the audience for a tv show, but don't know if time would allow or how that works. Here is what we know for sure we will be doing:

1. Universal Studios - would like a recommendation if Friday or Saturday would be best. We are also certain to get the VIP pass due to time.

2. Dodger Stadium - would Thursday, Friday or Saturday is best. Any recommendations would help. Thursday and Friday are evening games and Saturday is an afternoon game. Is the heat a consideration?

3. He loves Mexican and Chinese food so any great places would be appreciated.

4. Finally, anyone heard of a place called Magic Theater? He wants to see a magic show.

5. Any recommendations on any other attractions and the best places to see the "Hollywood" sign?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles with 14 year old son

Where are you staying?

Will you have a car?

If you're short on time for Universal, i think you mean 'front of the line' passes not the VIP Experience which includes the front of the line pass + a personal tour guide providing an expanded studio tour as well as included meals and parking. The VIP Experience is $299 per ticket!

For magic, there is no equal imo:

http://www.ivanamodei.com/mobile/

2. Re: Los Angeles with 14 year old son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 02:03
3. Re: Los Angeles with 14 year old son

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 02:03
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles with 14 year old son

I'll see you at the baseball game (the Pirates are in town). I believe that Friday night is fireworks night. The tradeoff between Thursday & Friday night's game and Saturday & Sunday is night game vs day game. With the evening games rush hour is a factor that needs to be factored in, but those games are less crowded. Seats along the 3rd base side should have less sun for the day games.

There is good Chinese and Mexican food throughout LA. I would pick a neighborhood where you will be and I'd see what local restaurants have been rated on Yelp or Trip Advisor. Dodger Stadium is next to Chinatown. I would also suggest you try our other ethnic cuisines which include, Korean (try barbeque), Thai, Vietnamese, and on a Sunday morning Chinese Dim Sum.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles with 14 year old son

Yes, where are you staying? Have you decided? If not, what is your budget? Given your plans, rent a car.

For finding restaurants, try Zagat's or Yelp.

http://www.zagat.com/los-angeles

http://www.yelp.com/c/la/restaurants

If the Griffith Observatory isn't on your itinerary, take a look. It is easy to simply stop by after Universal. Views at night are iconic. If you're inclined for something more, the hike up from the playground just north of the Fern Dell to the Observatory is a nice one-hour hike. Just don't do it in hot weather.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d11…

HTH

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles with 14 year old son

Knowing where you are staying is key to recommending restaurants.

Don't go to a taping on a short trip, they take forever.

For restaurant guides I'd never use Yelp or TA. I use Chowhound and sites like Eater LA and the Thrillist Los Angeles, they seem more reliable,

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,420 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles with 14 year old son

The taping, for an active boy, would not be a good bet - lots of waiting!

Are you planning to visit the beach? It's very attractive to active kids. Santa Monica pier - arcade and rides, rent bikes to ride the bike path, check out the small aquarium beneath the pier, lots of play structures and even the muscle beach area of Santa Monica should be fun for him: santamonica.com/visitors/… Don't mistake this for the Muscle Beach in Venice, where visitors cannot use the equipment. Santa Monica Muscle Beach, the original, is immediately south of the pier.

Excellent museums include the Natural History Museum - one of the best dinosaur exhibits I've seen. Science Center - home of the Endeavor Space Shuttle. LaBrea Tarpits - sabre tooth tigers and mastadons from the tar right beneath the museum.

Griffith Park is a great place with the LA Zoo (wonderful, free parking, modern, educational, inexpensive - especially when compared to the "other" zoo). Horseback riding is available in the Park as well as plenty of hiking trails and the Griffith Observatory.

The best of Chinese food can be found in the city of Monterey Park, roughly 10 miles east of downtown LA.

Consider introducing Korean food to your son, as that is a big presence here and the food is wonderful!

Mexican food is all over the place, and I'm sure each community has it's favorites. I've used yelp.com and the restaurants section of TripAdvisor, my experiences have been mostly positive.

If you can come up with an itinerary, restaurant recommendations can be made, but without a plan, the city is too large for us to make recommendations at this point.

8. Re: Los Angeles with 14 year old son

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 06:15