We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal Studios, advice urgently needed

D M
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Universal Studios, advice urgently needed

Hi experts

We will be doing LA for the first time next week, our 13yr old would like to do Universal Studios, especially for the Transformers ride.

Went online and noticed the Front-of-line tix are $139 pp for the duration of our stay in LA, as opposed to the usual $159pp. The prices then jump to $179, I think for school holidays?

Should we expect a whole lot of rides to be closed if this price has dropped?

We are not really interested in the VIP stuff, it's all about rides for us, and I'm wondering why the tix are so much cheaper.

Hmmm...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,732 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal Studios, advice urgently needed

No, rides are not open or closed based upon how much the Front of the Line Pass happens to be. They charge different prices for different times of the year for the Front of the Line Pass depending on how busy they think the Park may be, they are going to charge more basically when its usually a busier time.

You may find you dont need the extra pass at all. You can just enter the Park with a regular ticket, and see how busy things are. You can add the Pass inside the Park if you feel you need to. Just ask any employee where to go to add the Pass.

You may also be able to get a discount on regular tickets by looking at the Mousesavers website which is a good resource for you as they will list current discounts on attractions for you ( they dont sell tickets) Here is their Universal Studios discount page.

mousesavers.com/discounts-and-deals-at-other…

Edited: 27 May 2014, 17:03
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal Studios, advice urgently needed

As hap points out, the pricing system is called yield management. When demand goes down, the prices drop to encourage purchases. Same principle as airline tickets. There's a limit to how many people can visit the park on a given day (although sometimes you wonder).

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal Studios, advice urgently needed

If it is a weekend, I would buy the Front of the Line pass in advance online. On a weekday, you might want to opt for buying inside the park if needed. But note, the amount of Front of the Line Passes are limited each day, so they might be sold out when you decide to buy on, also they use variable pricing to decide the inside the park price, more than likely at least the price online, and might be more if they find higher than expected demand that morning.

D M
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal Studios, advice urgently needed

Thanks to all of you, great advice, appreciate it.

Guess I got spooked reading reviews about certain rides being closed&ensuing disappointment..

I should be less cynical... It's an Aussie thing :)

Thanks again

Edited: 28 May 2014, 09:48
5. Re: Universal Studios, advice urgently needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:16