We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mulholland Drive

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hanover
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mulholland Drive

I was wondering about doing the drive up there? Can you see the Hollywood sign from any of it? Is it worth driving up there?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mulholland Drive

There's not much to see on that road. If you want to see the Hollywood sign, it's visible pretty much anywhere from Beverly Hills to Downtown LA.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mulholland Drive

Mulholland is a beautiful road and there is LOTS to see from there. Unfortunately, the one driving sees very little of the views! It's usually not a recommended tourist attraction.

Hollywood Sign is best seen from the Hollywood area. A great area is from the Hollywood/Highland shopping center. Take the escalator to the upper level and walk to the north side. You'll get a great view there.

If you want other great views of LA then a great spot would be the Griffith Observatory.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mulholland Drive

Personally I like driving Sunset Blvd much better, so many folks seem to want to drive Mulholland.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,788 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mulholland Drive

Mulholland is prettiest at night, I think, overlooking the valley lights.

Hollywood sign is visible from many areas, just look up when in Hollywood.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mulholland Drive

I have driven both Sunset and Mulholland literally doznens of times and I think both are great drives. IMO, the best way to get to Mulholland is via Rodeo Drive to Sunset then continue up into Benedict Canyon. The best view from Mulholland is from the parking lot of the Bel Air Presbyterian Church which faces the San Fernando valley. That said, the most interesting part of the drive is the Benedict Canyon part, which is very interesting, especially if you come from a flat part of the country

See "Rodeo Drive To Benedict Canyon Drive To Mullholland Drive" at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c86961/Los-Ang…

Edited: 28 May 2014, 16:23
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mulholland Drive

IMHO, best views of the Hollywood sign are, as suggested, from downtown Hollywood, so you have something in the foreground of your photos, rather than close to the sign itself. It is just a sign. Not a spectacular one. Another option, though further away, is from the Griffith Park Observatory, perhaps including the bust of James Dean in the foreground (parts of "Rebel Without A Cause" were filmed at the observatory, as was an early scene in "Terminator").

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,874 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mulholland Drive

I too love Mulholland Drive. When we lived in the Valley (Burbank) and I had an office in Santa Monica I used to come home on Mulholland a lot because I enjoyed the views. There are a number of turnouts on it and I loved the canyons too (Benedict, Coldwater & Beverly Glen).

8. Re: Mulholland Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 14:06
USA
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive is great, do it.

Hanover
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mulholland Drive

Is there any one spot to look at the city at night like in all the movies? Would love to see the lights!