We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stay in LA

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Short stay in LA

Hi there,

My partner and I will be staying in LA for 3 nights at the start of our honeymoon before heading off to Orlando. 26th October to 29th October 2014.

Only just started looking at LA. We changed our plans so now we have extra time in LA.

We are planning on going to universal studios the first day we get there for HHN. The other two days will be typical tourist stuff around Hollywood. Any suggestions on what we must do?

Any suggestions where to stay? We want to stay somewhere nice but not too expensive.

Easiest way to get around? Airport transfers?

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edited: 04 June 2014, 03:59
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,476 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stay in LA

You need to do more research about what to see and do in Los Angeles. The typical tourist stuff around Hollywood is likely to take an hour or two unless you've got a thing for wax museums and tourist traps. My major suggestion would be to skip Hollywood. Take a look at the Things to Do. You'll note the list is very large.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-Activitie…

Where to stay depends upon your itinerary. You need to research that first. Define nice. Define "not too expensive". LA tends to be expensive. Or better yet, tell us your nightly budget.

Generally, the easiest way to get around is to rent a car unless you have an itinerary which is well-served by public transit.

What do you mean by "airport transfers"?

Lastly, I assume since you are on your honeymoon, your partner will be your husband?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stay in LA

Thanks for the reply HitchKennedy.

Yes I agree I do need to do more research. Originally we were only staying in LA for a night. Thought I would see what people would suggest is a must do.

I think one must to do for us is to check out local comic book stores.

Nightly budget for LA would be max $150, but ideally cheaper.

Not sure about hiring a car for 3 days. We don't mind taking public transport.

And yes my partner will be my husband :). We are getting married 25th October 2014, day before we fly to LA.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stay in LA

Aside from checking out comic book stores what do you like to do? We have bike pathes along the beach, art galleries, movie studios, theme parks (might be redundant with Orlando), Venice Beach, aquariums, shopping, ethnic foods, .....

Edited: 04 June 2014, 16:01
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,312 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short stay in LA

If going to Orlando, skip theme parks in LA. They are smaller and there's so much more to do

You cannot find a hotel in LA for that cheap, the lowest end, safe, clean, well located hotels start at 150 plus taxes.

Start with the FAQs on the right of your screen to get started on how to transfer from the airport, how to get around wthout a car and where to stay - you'll find all you need there.

5. Re: Short stay in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 12:49
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Short stay in LA

Thanks for the replies.

Ralph, I'm not sure exactly what we want to do. We are a pretty geeky couple, so I think movie studios is definitely a good idea. Might do the hollywood sign hike.

Ellebein, we are only doing universal studios because of HHN. We are also doing the HHN in orlando too. I will check out the faqs, thanks for pointing that out.

Oh a removed post. Wonder what it said lol.

NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short stay in LA

You can find hotels within your budget. Use priceline.com to bid around $60-$90 a night for a 3 star LAX airport hotel. You'll get a decent hotel at a budget price. While the airport area isn't the most exciting place to stay it's not bad if you simply rent a car (which is advised for LA). The airport is actually close to some of the beach areas in LA. A friend of mine was on a budget and stayed at the Sheraton LAX hotel. He said the hotel was nice and the location wasn't bad.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,312 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short stay in LA

I do not recommend a LAX hotel - they are too far from everything and you'll spend your vacation in traffic, in your car. Public transportation is basically a nightmare from there. There's nothing to walk to nearby at all, not even to get a bite to eat.

Look in Hollywood at Orchid Suites, Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and others in that area. Then you can do without the car, the metro is easy to Universal.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short stay in LA

Given how tight you are on time, I might try to do the movie studio tour at Universal, as opposed to one of the "real" studio tours. I don't know if it is still as good, but Knottsberry Farms did a killer Halloween Horror Night. Unfortunately you would definitely need a car to get there and it might be redundant with all of the other theme parks or amusement parks that you will be seeing.

Several other ideas, the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach (at the end of the Metro Blue Line), the Huntington Library and Gardens (very unusual gardens), Venice Beach on a weekend afternoon, the Getty Center for the views and architecture, the Warner Brothers Studio Tour if you are a Harry Potter, Friends, or Batman fan, and Thai, Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or Mexican food in and around Hollywood and downtown LA.

Is there any kind of shopping that you want to do. Normal clothes, funky clothes, books, electronics?

Edited: 07 June 2014, 05:13
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short stay in LA

What is HHN?