We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
402 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

Hi guys,

We are a family of 4 with 2 teens (16 year old boy and a 14 year old girl) and we will be in Los Angeles between the 26th of June till the 29th of June (3 nights, 4 days). Here is our updated itinerary:

June 26: Drive from Anaheim to Los Angeles (approx. 1 hour) and drop off our luggage at the Omni Hotel in Downtown LA as well as our car at the hotel valet parking. Afterwards take the train (what line are we supposed to take) to Hollywood, go to the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Chinese Theatre (anything else?)

June 27: Go to Universal Studios Hollywood by train (again which line) and afterwards take the tram "up the hill". Spend around 5 hours (untill around 1 or 2) and then go back to downtown and explore (go to olvera street), anything else we should see in downtown?

June 28: Drive to Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills (stop for around an hour), and afterwards continue on to Venice Beach and the Santa Monica Pier. Later on drive to the Griffith Observatory, then afterwards return to the hotel and in the evening go to a nice restaurant.

June 29: Drive from LA to San Simeon, stop on the way in Santa Barbara for lunch.

Could you guys recommend any restaurants near the places we will be at including downtown? Also we are looking to celebrate a birthday on the 28th (we are looking to go to a nice restaurant which means good quality food, service, location no more than a 30 minute drive per way but we do not want to spend a lot of money) probably $300-$350 max including tip, tax and drinks (no alcohol). Also could you guys make any suggestions as to what edit, change, fix, add or replace? thank you guys

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

Hello Ben --

You will take the red line from downtown -- Civic Center or Pershing Square to Hollywood. Take a walk through the lobby of the Roosevelt on Hollywood Boulevard, it's beautiful. Also take a walk through the entry of the Dolby Theater where the Oscars are held.

Universal Studios is also the Red Line.

Downtown, try to get to the Bradbury Building on 3rd and Broadway and take a look inside -- it's breathtaking.

Understand that your drive from Santa Monica to the Griffith Observatory, if you leave any time later than 3 pm or so, will take around 90 minutes. Then another 30 minutes or so from the Observatory to downtown LA.

Bottega Louie (700 S Grand Ave) may be a good choice for the birthday dinner. It's pretty hot right now, you may see some celebs. They also have a huge offering of macarons for the dessert!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
402 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

thanks for the quick response, is there anything we should tweak or does our plan sound fine? could you also recommend any restaurants in general we could eat at like say any good restaurants near the omni, any good restaurants around hollywood, good restaurants near venice beach and santa monica?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

Your Saturday plan is too full, plus the added complication of trying to get from Santa Monica to Griffith Park (especially with a Sarah McLachlan show at the Greek Theater). Santa Monica on the weekend is way too crowded, and everyone tries to go east at the end of the day, creating the worst traffic you've ever seen. I would estimate 2 hours to Griffith Park from SM

There are great restaurants in SM - Catch at Casa del Mar is great for families and for a celebration, with great views. Other ideas would be Boa, Water Grill, The Lobster, Ivy, Penthouse.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
402 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

thanks ellebeinLA, the only reason we are planning to go to Griffith Observatory is to see the Hollywood sign. Could you recommend any other places where you can see the Hollywood sign as I have read that you can see it clearer at other places than from the observatory?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

There is a Hollywood Sign viewpoint right at the Hollywood and Highland Center in the back -- it's a bit far, but you can see it very clearly. If that's all you want for the Observatory, I'd save the 2-3 hours and be happy to see it there.

Another option in Santa Monica (although more casual) is the Border Grill.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
402 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

thanks, i just wanted to know if my itinerary is fine? could you guys recommend things to do in hollywood besides the walk of fame, the chinese theatre and the dolby theatre?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

You've got what I would see. I think you hit those and a walk through the Roosevelt and you've seen what really needs to be seen there. I would spend my time at the other spots you're planning -- Hollywood is very crowded and touristy. Not exactly fun but I believe a necessary stop in LA -- see those main spots but no need to linger.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
402 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

should we go to venice beach and santa monica pier on the 26th which is a thursday or keep it as is?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

I would visit Santa Monica on Thrusday if you can - it'll be much easier and less crowded.

Hollywood takes very little time to see. Combine it with your visit to Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills and the Grove/Farmers Market.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
402 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Angeles Itinerary (Updated)

sorry for asking so many questions but do you think its worth going to malibu if we are going to santa monica pier and venice beach? if yes which day would be the best for us to go there?