We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Layover from Aug 18 to Aug 21st

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Short Layover from Aug 18 to Aug 21st

Arriving with my husband late afternoon on Aug 18th and leaving early morning on the 21st which really only gives us 2 full days to do anything. We really want to go to the Getty Center...but now we are confused about what we would be able to do and where it makes sense to stay. Neither of us have been to LA and I guess I need some help figuring out what is even practical/possible for us in such a short time.

Our first instinct is to stay in Hollywood since it is near tourist attractions...but that seems far from the Getty Center? I am so confused...i guess I'm just asking for some advice.

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Layover from Aug 18 to Aug 21st

Oops I forgot to say we don't plan on renting a car so we were planning on taking public transit and our max budget for hotel would be $250 though we'd like to keep it closer to $200.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Layover from Aug 18 to Aug 21st

Well, you are all over the place. So it is not surprising you are confused. Don't worry. We'll sort it out. Before selecting a hotel, you need to know three things. You've got some answered already.

1) What is your budget? $250/night or less.

2) What is your itinerary? You've stated you really want to see the Getty Center and the tourist attractions in Hollywood.

3) Will you rent a car? You've indicated you'd prefer to rely on public transit.

Your budget is fine. You won't be able to command prime beach properties. But, that doesn't seem to be your priority. I've noted during the summer, you can find some great deals at topnotch hotels which are inland. Last summer I stayed at the JW Marriot at LA Live and I got it for less than $200/night. I didn't have to look very hard either. So it is worth your while to look around.

Be aware that Hollywood is presumed by visitors to be the place to stay in Hollywood. Most are shocked and surprised by how tacky and cheap the place is and why didn't anyone warn them. Consider this your official warning that Hollywood ain't all that. Most locals see little point to go there and if you've got an hour, you're done (unless you've got a thing for wax museums). Read the reviews of the Walk of Fame, particularly the bad ones. Frankly, with your limited time, I'd urge you to skip the Hollywood.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

One good reason to stay in Hollywood is because it is cheaper than other areas. Another is it is also good if you're relying on public transit.

By way of comparison, here are the reviews for the Getty Center.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d14…

You've indicated you don't plan to rent a car. Why? With your limited time, a car is very practical. Give that some thought. I'd recommend renting a car for such a short trip.

Also, do some more research for your itinerary. The Getty and Hollywood are the two extremes of attractions. Figure out what you're interested in seeing. Then you can get down to selecting a hotel.

If you're budget was higher, I'd suggest Santa Monica. SM is very visitor friendly for newbies. But, that seems impractical. Look in West Hollywood or Beverly Grove. I really like the Farmer's Daughter. My hunch is you'd have a hoot there. I'm sure others will chime in with other good recommendations.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d119479-…

HTH

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,837 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Layover from Aug 18 to Aug 21st

If you don't mind staying a bit away from the beach, check out the TravelLodge in Santa Monica. Recently remodeled, freeway close, a couple of restaurants and grocery store nearby as well as a coffee shop. An easy bus ride to the beach and 3rd St. Promenade; if you want to enjoy cocktails, either bus back or take a cab, which should be less than $10. You'll be a short drive from the Getty Center, beach, downtown Santa Monica restaurants and activities, and a quick hop from the I-10. I'm seeing availability at $149.00 (taxes not included).

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Layover from Aug 18 to Aug 21st

Thanks so much for the helpful replies. Honestly I did not even know where to start and I obviously haven't read enough about what to see in LA (since it's a layover at the end of a larger trip I've been concentrating on that part). I just assumed Hollywood would be one of the places not to miss out on, but by no means do I have my heart set on Hollywood.

I guess I'm assuming too much...thought it would be too much trouble to drive around with traffic and parking etc. I will read up some more and post some better pointed questions later.

Thanks again!!!!

5. Re: Short Layover from Aug 18 to Aug 21st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:16