We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
133 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

We just moved to OC, we tried to do Hollywood once on our own after Universal and basically drove down Rodeo Drive, saw a few stars on the walk of fame, and drove by Ellen & Portia's new house (gates). My mom is coming and wants the tourist Hollywood experience. So, should I book one of the tours or is there a way to learn some destinations/ parking/ pricing/ navigation and plan a day?

A Day in LA Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours
We Love LA Tour
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bikes And Hikes LA
Equipment Hire, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours
LA Insider Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

Welcome to town. Sad truth is that the standard hollywood stuff everyone wants to do just isnt that good. If its what your mom wants, I would suggest a tour. A good guide might make it seem more interesting than it really is. Maybe the tmz tour if thats your demographic.

Parking at the hollywood and highland center is cheap and abundant and if you take a tour you wont have to move until you go home.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 22:20
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

Look at RedLIneTours.com. They give a walking tour (of about 90 minutes, as I recall) that starts from an office that's a 1-minute walk from the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall. It's a nice overview of the area.

I would then add a 2-hour, 15 minute 'studio tour' of Warner Bros. The "VIP Tours" (as they are known) run every 15 or 20 minutes throughout the day. They're conducted on trams that hold only 11 passengers and there is a private tour guide/driver. You get off the tram and enter sound stages, prop houses, Foley (sound effects) studios, etc.

Info at: http://redlinetours.com/la/?page_id=36

http://vipstudiotour.warnerbros.com/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

A tour is going to really bring Hollywood and Beverly Hills to life for you. I've seen lots of locals take tours and comment with wonder about how much more there is to Hollywood that they would never have known without the tour. Nondescript buildings take on whole new meaning when you learn that they filmed X movie here or that X celebrity did Y at this spot. Highly recommended if you want to really appreciate the history, architecture, and just pop culture of Hollywood and LA.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

The reality of Hollywood is pretty lackluster. Visitors have this unrealistic notion that Hollywood is something special. The reality is Hollywood was abandoned for a couple of generations. For a couple of decades, it was a dangerous place which sensible people avoided. Tourists flocked there to take in the seedy Walk of Fame and the venerable Chinese Theater. For visitors, there were numerous budget hotels. With the opening of the Redline subway, a slow recovery began. It became a hub for night clubs skewing young. There are a bunch of cheesy tourist trap places like wax museums and such. If that appeals to your Mom, knock yourself out. The reality is most people show up and look around and are done in an hour and disappointed. Consider this your official warning. Read the reviews. I am amazed most people don't bother to read the reviews before they go.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

Better options for Hollywood glitz are the Grammy Museum in downtown at LA Live. The Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills is another good option.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d17…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32070-d77…

If your Mom is interested in film history or architecture, the LA Conservancy offers walking tours of the historic theaters on Broadway in downtown LA.

https://www.laconservancy.org/events/broadwa…

HTH

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

It might be nice to also include an evening concert at the historic Hollywood Bowl, if there is one and it is to your liking. The parking is difficult, but there are shuttles that go there. That is one of the things I have done that I enjoyed the most.

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com

I also like the Farmer's Market, which you can visit on your own without a tour. It is in the same big block as CBS Television Studios where the Price is Right is taped. The Grove mall is between the two.

If there is a tour of famous gravesites, or Forest Lawn, that to me would be very nice if done with respect.

I think it always helps to educate yourself on the history of a place to be able to fully enjoy and appreciate and talk to another about it. It couldn't hurt to look at the history of the city or its attractions and sites.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 22:12
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
556 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

here is a link to walking tours (PDF downloads) you can do on your own if you are so inclined...

http://angelswalkla.org/walks_hollywood.html

I've also noticed hard copies of these maps at the info center at Hollywood/Highland

7. Re: Hollywood Do I need a tour? Or just an education?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:19