We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

Hi all,

Despite days and days of reading and lurking I still have lots of questions, but here's just one ...

We're staying in a hotel in Santa Monica, arriving on an August Tuesday night. We have a Warner Brothers Studio tour scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Wednesday. Roughly when do we want to leave our Santa Monica hotel to arrive in time to start that 10 a.m. tour.

The tour is the only thing we'll be doing in Burbank, by the way. Otherwise, our 2 full days in the area will include the usual touristy crap that people do with 11 and 14 year old kids: Hollywood Walk of Fame, La Brea tar pits, Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

I realize Santa Monica is off to one side but I liked the idea of that town and the beach for the little bit of downtime we'll have. Am I making a mistake using that as our base? Arriving Tuesday night after driving in from Pismo Beach. Leaving maybe 9:00 p.m.-ish Thursday night (to avoid traffic) to drive down to San Diego for the last few days of our California vacation.

THANKS!

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

>> Roughly when do we want to leave our Santa Monica hotel to arrive in time to start that 10 a.m. tour. <<

Uh-oh... you left out the golden piece of detail... are you driving? Or relying on public transportation? :)

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

I was planning to drive. Since the studio tour isn't a whole day thing, we want the flexibility to go numerous places afterwards. Car all the way! :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

If you can change to the 11am tour you'll be happier....leave Santa Monica at 9:45am after traffic. If you're stuck with the 10am tour leave Santa Monica at 8am and tell the kids to relax for what could be a 50, 60 or 90 minute crawl.

No don't change your hotel, in August you want to be nearer the ocean, it's gonna be a hot summer

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,312 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

Where in Santa Monica? It's a huge area and that will determine the answer.

Change the tour to 11AM and you'll have no traffic - but what's your starting point?

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

Thank you all for taking the time to spoonfeed this all to me :-)

Were staying at The Georgian, 1415 Ocean Ave.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

So I'm driving from The Georgian in Santa Monica to an 11:00 a.m. Warner Brothers studio tour on a Wednesday in late August. When would you suggest I start driving from my hotel to reach my tour starting point, including walking time, parking time, etc.

THANKS!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

Okay, more spooning....

1. The tour does not start at the main entrance to the WB studio. It's starts at an office building, outside of the studio grounds at 3400 Riverside Drive in Burbank, about 3/4ths of a mile from the main entrance to the studio.

2. You need to park in the parking lot that faces the REAR ENTRANCE to the building (on Warner Av) and enter the building from the rear. All adults in your party must have photo ids with them. Allow a solid 5 minutes to park the car (after paying -- $8, I think) and then walking to the rear entrance.

3. There, you will find an airport-style security checkpoint. Empty your pockets (leave your coins in the car!) and line up to be scanned (5 minutes)

4. Enter the building, turn left and enter the gift shop. Turn right inside the gift shop and walk to the right-rear counter where you'll be checked in.

5. WB requests that you be AT THE TOUR CENTER 20 minutes before your scheduled tour time. So, let's recap going backwards...

Your tour commences at 11:00 which means you must be at the tour center at 10:40 which means approaching security at 10:35 which means entering the parking area at 10:30.

So, you need to depart Santa Monica at a time such that you can be pulling up to the parking area entrance at 10:30. My vote would be 9:15. If you arrive early, browse the gift shop, have some coffee, use the restrooms.

Have fun!

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

You're the best! Thanks!

9. Re: Driving time Santa Monica to Burbank?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:16