We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip suggestions

Liverpool, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Weekend trip suggestions

Hello,

I'm staying in LA from early July to early August. I'll be working in the week, but want to make some excursions out of the city and am looking for suggestions. I'll be travelling alone (female, 28yp), reliant on public transport. I like walking, climbing and outdoor things, but could be interested in urban exploring too. I'm on a fairly tight budget.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,046 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip suggestions

Where are you going to be staying?

You don't need to out of the "city" for outdoor things. Places in the city like Runyon Canyon, Griffith Park and trails in the Santa Monica Mountains will give you all the outdoor and wilderness you want. You can even rock climb within the city.

But more information about where you will be and what a "tight" budget means would be helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Griffith Park
Griffith Park
2,847 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica Mountains
Santa Monica Mountains
249 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend trip suggestions

Google Sierra Club, hikes, and LA (I'm on a mobile device or else I'd give you the website). There are several local groups that have hikes & excursions that are listed on-line. It has been several decades since I did activities with them, but at that time, through a group associated with UCLA, I was able to meet people in your age bracket that were pretty interesting. With another Sierra Club group I got to go to camp on one of the Channel Islands that are typically inaccessible. They typically met for excursions in a local parking lot (like the Westwood Federal building) on a weekend morning and had volunteers drive.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 13:52
Mentioned in this post
UCLA Guest House
UCLA Guest House
145 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend trip suggestions

Where in the city are you staying?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,110 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend trip suggestions

Where are you staying and will you have a car?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,543 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend trip suggestions

Library, did you find accommodations? If not, did you see the follow-up response I made in your other thread?

If you're staying anywhere near Historic West Adams, it's not a great place to stay as far as public transit; it's not that there aren't buses nearby; it's that you're in the center of our sprawling metro area so it's going to take a while to 'get out of the city' or even to reach the areas that are 'less urban' on the edges of the city centre.

If you could hire a car for a day, it would be a big help.

Liverpool, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend trip suggestions

Hi - yes, thanks. I found somewhere to lodge which is just by where I'm working (hence the location).

I think I'll have to rely on public transport, but am happy to negotiate metros at weekends as I'll be walking in the week.

7. Re: Weekend trip suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:16