We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

I've been reading through the posts on processing times through custom/immigration and many refer to "peak times" taking longer (makes sense) but aren't clear about what those times are. Our flight arrives from Sydney at 6.45am to TBIT. We're planning on booking a shuttle from LAX to our hotel in Hollywood and I need to give them approximate pick up time. How much time should I allow to get through immigration etc at that time of the morning?

Many thanks

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

It can be busy at that time as there are other International flights arriving at the approximate same time.

Usually if you give the shuttle service the airline and scheduled flight arrival they will tell you when the pick up will occur.

If they have no idea plan on about 45 minutes.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,495 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

LA folks. Does one need to book a shuttle in advance?

. Are they not all waiting there and wait until the fill up and go. Unless this is a private shuttle just for you. my advice would be to come out and take the next half full or half empty one. That is the advice we give to folks at SFO. Since Hollywood is a popular area, I would bet there are many shuttles that go that way.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

Yes, their websites ask you when your flight arrives -- not what time you want to be picked up. From that information, the sites offer you different pickup times assuming that you might want the option of delaying your transfer a little.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

The only advantage to booking is that, theoretically, if there are more passengers waiting than there are seats, those with reservations get preference.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Very helpful. Think we'll just rock up and go from there.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

I have also been debating about booking a shuttle or winging it when I arrive. is the cost any different? What shuttle services would you recommend, if I was to book one ?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

No difference in cost. There are only 2 companies that reside at LAX (and have a steady stream of vans entering the office to pick up passengers): super shuttle and prime time shuttle. The dozens of other companies that offer transfer services FROM LAX to other destinations must be booked in advance. These companies are not allowed to have vehicles circling the airport, looking for passengers (who don't have reservations). Only super shuttle and prime time can do that.

All the airport transfer options are explained in detail in our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page -- you need a computer to see it. If you don't have one, ask us for a shortcut to the content.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 23:22
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,263 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

I take Supershuttle from SFO regularly (not LAX, but it works the same). I make my reservations ahead of time because it is easier - pre-paid and I get priority over walk-ups if the shuttles are busy. There is always someone organizing passengers outside the international terminal - I hand them my reservation and they put me in a shuttle. its very easy.

9. Re: Processing through Customs/Immigration 6.45am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:20