We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from LAX?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from LAX?

HI, I hope you can help.

I have a 13-hour stopover in LA, and am wondering if any of you know of a company or service that would pick us up from the airport and drive us around to some of the sights, then take us back to the airport?

There are two of us, and we get in at 9:00am on a weekday, so have a whole day to tour the city.

Many thanks for your help.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from LAX?

This discussion has some relevance to your situation:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k760170…

Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from LAX?

Hi Ralph,

thanks for your post. Yes, I did see that question, right after I'd posted mine! Clearly there's a niche market here for some enterprising soul to start up custom tours from LAX.

I thought I'd found my answer with jumping on a Hop On Hop Off bus, but the multiplicity of routes confounded me. The only thing I really want to see in LA is Venice Beach, and I'd need to get on and off three different routes to get there.

Maybe I just need to take myself there by train... still, it was worth asking if there are any custom tours.

Thanks, Merilyn

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,546 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from LAX?

There are no trains at the airport and the closest metro rail line (the green line) doesn't go anywhere near Venice. You'd need to take the Santa Monica #3 bus north to the corner of Lincoln Bl & Washington Bl and then transfer to the Culver City #1 bus westbound on Washington. To get to the #3, ride the free 'Parking Lot C" shuttle bus from in front of your terminal to the parking lot and then walk to the bus plaza nearby (ask the bus driver for directions).

The entire transfer takes about an hour and costs $1.50. Alternatively, take a taxi:

Tell the driver to 'take LIncoln Blvd'. This will save you money since it's the shortest route. The fare will be about $30 including tip, each way but the transfer will only take 15 minutes (without traffic).

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from LAX?

If you know you only want to go to Venice beach (you might as well go to Santa Monica too), I'd just get a taxi.

I have not been in that stop over situation, but know others that have got a taxi to Santa Monica for a few hours.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from LAX?

The top of this page, in the green bar, check Things to Do. You have to find Activities to get to sightseeing tours, but once you find them, there are many, all with reviews and weblinks.

If you want to get out on your own, either Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach are good destinations for layovers; MB is a small beach town 3 miles from LAX, Santa Monica is a beach city 6 miles in the other direction, both easy by taxi.

There is also a HOHO line that connects LAX hotels with Marina del Rey, then you can connect to the Santa Monica's HOHO line, but the Santa Monica bus would probably be easier.

You can get off the bus at Venice Blvd. and walk to Venice Beach (1.5 mile walk down Venice Blvd; if you go this way, you can stroll down Abbot Kinney Blvd., a trendy, upscale street, then on to the beach or the Venice Canals).

I read that Perry's Cafes (concession on the beaches) can rent you a bike at one location then you can return to a different Perry's; might be a fun way to explore Venice and Santa Monica:

http://www.perryscafe.com/#/locations/

Take the same bus back to LAX (#3 Big Blue Bus).

Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from LAX?

Thanks everyone who responded. So, it looks like there are no custom tour guides, but you've given me lots of helpful information, and a taxi seems like the best option to use our time best. Thanks again.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from LAX?

Merilyn - I believe there are custom tour guides, but this forum is mostly locals who respond and we don't go on tours, so our knowledge and ability to compare for you isn't vast. I recommend you go to things to do - then activities - then sightseeing tours and see the many that have been reviewed by our visitors. The tours will all have phone numbers or weblinks. In fact, I go straight to Things to Do on any TA site I visit. It helps me quickly determine if I want to visit a destination - if there are enough things listed that I know I'll enjoy, then I know I'll have a good time at that place. Happy planning.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from LAX?

There are many (I mean, many) private tours that will pick you up from LAX and take you around. Simply google "private tour from LAX airport) and you'll see all the companies that come up (Glitterati Tours, Elite Adventure Tours, American Riviera Tours and on and on). They are not inexpensive.

9. Re: Day trip from LAX?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 07:16