We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal Studios: Front-of-the-Line passes sellout?

Seattle
Level Contributor
321 posts
402 reviews
Save Topic
Universal Studios: Front-of-the-Line passes sellout?

I'm going to Universal Studios Hollywood with my family during the week of August 14th, and we're debating whether to spend the money for the FOL passes. I've read in the reviews they are great for avoiding the long lines, but the cost would be huge for me (going from regular charge of $435 to FOL charge of $895). I've read that near the end of August through Sept kids are heading back to school in Calif so that is a slow time, but my visit date is right on the cusp for the 3rd week of August.

I'm considering going with the regular rate tickets, and once we get through the gates deciding whether to upgrade to FOL on the spot after seeing the crowd level. Hence my question: Does anyone have an idea how quickly the FOL passes sell out?

Thanks.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal Studios: Front-of-the-Line passes sellout?

Well, they're not going to sell out instantly. You'll certainly have time to have a look around the Park and decide. In the 8 years I've been involved with Trip Advisor, I've never come across anyone who said that they couldn't upgrade cuz the passes were sold out. I would think that you'd have AT LEAST an hour to decide -- probably longer.

Understand that you can upgrade to the Passes INSIDE of the Park (ask at the ticket booths/turnstiles where to do that).

Since you might not be accustomed to the heat, be aware that Universal is 'over the hill' from Hollywood on the edge of the San Fernando Valley. It gets REALLY HOT (and dry) there so bring plenty of water, sunscreen and HEADWEAR (light-colored baseball caps are a good choice). You won't feel the heat right away but it can sneak up on you. Ever so often, take off your cap and feel your head; if it's more than a little bit warm, get out of the sun for a while.

You should be AT the entrance gates at least 20 minutes before the Park opens in order to get a head start. If you're driving to Universal, it can take 20 to 30 minutes from the time you drive onto the grounds until you've made your way through the lines of cars in order to pre-pay for parking, and then up and down the rows and levels, looking for a space and then walking or waiting for and riding the tram to the entrance to the Park.

If you're using public transit, when you arrive at the Universal city metro rail station/bus plaza, you'll need to wait for the free tram 'up the hill' to the Park. The tram runs once every 15 or 20 minutes and the ride takes about a minute. Alternatively, you can walk up the hill (steep!).

Have fun!

Seattle
Level Contributor
321 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal Studios: Front-of-the-Line passes sellout?

Thank you very much for your valuable tips! It is greatly appreciated.

3. Re: Universal Studios: Front-of-the-Line passes sellout?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 05:15