We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar rent a car

Boston...
11 posts
Save Topic
Dollar rent a car

Does anyone know if you are a dollar express member, do they have you bypass the counter and go straight to your car or is it just a separate line?

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar rent a car

You bypass the counter.

At LAX, when you get off the shuttle bus, there should be a small sign with Dollar Express members' names on it. Next to each name is the parking space number where your assigned car is waiting, with the car rental contract pre printed inside the car. You can just hop in and drive.

Boston...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar rent a car

Great. Thank you so much for your response.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,808 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar rent a car

It pays to have a loyalty service

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar rent a car

Well as long as the OP has read about that specific Dollar location -- the LAX location (which is what I presume the OP is looking at) Please search Dollar LAX rentals on the LA forum. Most of the issues have been with lines that are avoided using the express membership and for foreign nationals but there have been issues with long waits for buses and cars not being available for any customer during the peak rental times. Have we seen issues with the other major companies including the parent company Hertz? Absolutely but the number of issues for Dollar here on TA far exceeds all those of the others.

Just go into this booking with your eyes open. That is all.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 14:54
Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar rent a car

I did experienced longer wait for the Dollar shuttle bus. I saw shuttles from every other car rental companies at least twice before a Dollar shuttle showed up, and it could not accomodate all the customers waiting for it. I can totally understand the frustrations if one then have to wait on line again at the counter.

On the other hand, the main reason I picked Dollar was because its quote was $130 lower than another major. I just worked with the situation, knowing Dollar LAX does not have the best reputation in this forum.

I will post back after my trip about the return process.

Boston...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar rent a car

I chose Dollar mainly on cost. It was nearly 40% less than the other companies. Is Thrifty any better? I know they have the same parent company but they have identical pricing.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar rent a car

As they say, you get what you pay for in the car rental business. You may get lucky and have no issues at all because of the frequent renter program. Thrifty has fewer complaints at least on this forum. As with any feedback -- please take this website as one data point.

There are plenty of sites which offer coupons, deals codes to bring rates down and I have found Avis and Hertz and Budget to be competitive using coupons and deals and their frequent renter program.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar rent a car

Well, I have now returned from the trip and can report that the return process was also uneventful.

I just drove back into return lot half an hour before the due time. A clerk with a mobile device scanned a bar code on the windshield, checked the mileage and fuel gauge, and printed out a receipt right on the spot. The amount was exactly what I estimated. I have read some recent post about agents asking to see a gas receipt to prove that I refueled within a few miles, so I had mine ready but he did not asked for it.

Three hours later while I was inflight, Dollar emailed me another copy of the receipt. (I don't know if this is one of the benefits of being a Dollar Express member)

I have read horror stories about Dollar LAX in this forum, and that was the main reason I joined Dollar Express to avoid having to deal with the rental counter clerks. I believe I have been lucky. Looking back, I can see how it could have been a frustrating experience if I had to wait on line after getting off that full shuttle. There were at least twenty to thirty people on that shuttle bus!

On the other hand, since I saved about $130 dollars by going with Dollar instead of the next lowest priced competitor, I probably would have been okay with waiting for an extra hour. In fact, I may be willing to wait two hours if Dollar gives me the rental for free. :-)

Edited: 14 July 2014, 04:52
9. Re: Dollar rent a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:15