We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

LONDON
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

Hi there,

Travelling from London to LA with my son for 10 days end of August for first time as his 16th present! Want to make it an amazing trip for him.

Firstly which area to stay in ? Don't want to spend fortune but nice place.

Will want take him to see Famous sites like walk of fame etc Hollywood but all that will only take a day I'm estimating so is it really worth staying in hotel in that area?

Do I need to hire a car or if staying near Metro is that good enough?

He's into sports / doesn't really like shopping / got huge sense of adventure.

been to Disney and Universal in Florida so he wants to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Is it worth staying over one night and having 2 days in the park so not rushing it? Or is one day enough ? Looked up transport links and still in decided as to hiring car or not to get there.

Thank you guys!

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

Yes, you need a car. No, don't stay in Hollywood. It will take you an hour. Read the reviews for the Walk of Fame.

Before selecting a hotel, you need to develop an itinerary. What is your nightly budget in U.S. dollars?

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Hollywood Walk of Fame
13,915 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
LONDON
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

Looking to spend no more than $200 per night.

There are some great deals on hotels in LA when booking from UK at moment so which area would you suggest ? Yes agreed will hire a car.

Itinerary so far:

Hollywood area/ sites

Down town /Rodeo Drive etc

1 or 2 days 6 Flags Magic Mountain

1 day Universal ( depends on budget)

Seen a great Segway tour of Venice beach/santamonica beach

Open to suggestions about what else ! He's not into museums though -

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rodeo Drive
Rodeo Drive
4,580 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
8,930 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,046 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

Welcome to the LA forums Sam!

#1 I'd say rent a car the whole time. The subway system is very limited in where it goes and the buses take up too much time.

#2, I would be very careful with what travel sites, especially UK based ones, are using as neighborhood names. If you can give names of specific hotels you are considering we can give specific feedback on quality and location.

I would consider splitting time in LA and Orange County and looking at Orange County cities like Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach.

Can you give specific dates you'll be here so we can recommend events? For example, USC is playing Fresno State in college football on Aug 30 and that would be a great event to go to.

Baseball will still be in season so you could go to an LA Dodger game in LA or the LA Angels in Anaheim.

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Fresno
Fresno
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
222 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

Also be advised that the weather in different parts of the LA area can really vary. It will be nice and comfortable the closer you are to the beach, however areas like Six Flags and Universal will be hot. It could easily be 95-100 degrees at either of those places in late August. One day at Six Flags might be enough. Enjoy your trip!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,543 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

Here's a link to 300+ attractions in the L.A. metro area. (link and scroll down). Perhaps, something in this list will interest you and your son:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32655-Activitie…

London, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I'm considering a similar trip for next year.

7. Re: Mum taking 16yr old son- advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16